Friday, June 13, 2008

Jam Doughnut & Top Deck Cupcakes

I always enjoy baking cupcakes and it's even more fun when trying something new. Chris came up with an idea for icing, a swirly mixture of choc and vanilla buttercream created by having a divider in the piping bag with a flavour on either side of it. On Saturday evening we decided to try it out. I'd also had my eye on the Jelly Doughnut Cupcake recipe in Veganomicon so I baked a batch of cupcakes, half vanilla and half choc as I prefer vanilla and Chris likes the choc ones.

I used the g-free recipe from VCTOTW adding the apple cider vinegar step from the velvet recipe as well. I've been doing this lately instead of just adding the rice milk on it's own, I add the vinegar to the rice milk before adding it to the rest of the wet ingredients. I've read rice milk doesn't curdle like soy, but I think the texture of the cake changes when adding this step in.

I dropped a small spoon of raspberry jam into the vanilla cakes, most of which stayed up the top so I could still see a bit of jam as I put them in the oven. Once they were done I could see the jam had moved in some of the cakes, some had sunk and others had moved to the side but there were two where the jam stayed in the centre. I topped them w/ a sprinkling of icing sugar. As you can tell form the multiple shots, I really liked the Jam Doughnut Cupcakes :)




Extreme close up!

The chocolate ones were next. I made a batch of vanilla and chocolate buttercream. Chris cut some cardboard to put into the piping bag, we weren't sure if it would work but wanted to try it. I spooned in the two icings and then Chris held the bag as I squeezed down both sides. At first mostly chocolate icing was coming out but then the vanilla did too, we removed the cardboard and we managed to get some of the cakes iced with a nice swirl of both choc and vanilla icing. We named them after the chocolate bar that's white and milk chocolate.







4 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow, those jam donut cupcakes look so good! I love the way the jam goes alll the way down the middle. And what a great idea for the choc/vanilla swirl icing! You should open a vegan cupcake shop. I'd go.

vegandenovo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vegandenovo said...

woah! those cupcakes are beautiful! i second above suggestion for a cupcake shop.

kristy said...

The cupcakes look great, and I love the idea for the icing!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags