Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gluten free Gnocchi!

I thought it would be impossible to make gleegan gnocchi but lucky for me someone clever had already figured it all out! I googled gluten free gnocchi and found this brilliant recipe.

Some recipes say to boil or steam the potatoes but I read the gnocchi recipe at veganyumyum and Lolo baked hers because then the potatoes aren't soggy, so I wrapped 2 desiree potatoes, weighing about 450g, in foil and baked them for 50 mins at 200C.

I let them cool for a little bit and when they were still warm I peeled the skin off, it mostly came off in my hands and then I mashed them with a fork as I don't have a ricer but you could grate them or use a normal masher, just make sure there aren't any lumps.

I added the chickpea & potato flours as well as Orgran Egg replacer. I might leave this out next time and see if they still hold together as well.

I didn't bother rolling the dough out after kneading it, I just pulled bits off which I rolled into balls and then over the tines of a fork. In the middle of this, Chris walked into the kitchen to find me happily making gnocchi and said "You're doing it wrong!" He said traditional gnocchi were round with a thumbprint in them so I did some his way too!



I heated up a large fry pan with a dash of olive oil and threw in half the batch a time, I flipped the pan quite a bit and cooked them until they were golden brown. I made a sauce using cooked onion and garlic blended with tomatoes and fresh basil.



It was delicious! I really didn't think they were going to work because I've read how hard gnocchi can be but they were fluffy and potatoey and went well with the tomato sauce. I think frying gnocchi must be much easier than boiling them because you risk having them dissolve.

It really didn't take long if you don't count the potatoes time in the oven and it was quite fun. My only regret is that I didn't double the recipe because they didn't last long :)

21 comments:

shelby said...

I've always wanted to try fried gnocchi. Sounds amazing and looks so pretty too =)

Theresa said...

Yummy, I never thought of fried gnocchi. I'll have to give it a go sometime!

herbstsonne said...

Those look so good! I recently made my own (non-GF) gnocchi for the first time, isn't it relaxing to shape them? :)

Cindy said...

Your gnocchi look fantastic! My first attempt was hopeless, but I will have to try again sometime.

River said...

This is freaky! We had gnocchi for dinner too! I must say that my ugly little blogs look terrible compared to your amazing looking ones. I will definitely fry them next time, thanks for the tip!!

a vegan about town said...

Huh, fried gnocchi. That's such a cool idea! Also I'm glad they worked out fine with the gf!

Vegetation said...

Oh wow! I love the look of your gnocchi. Gnocchi are one of my favourite dishes! I've always been a little too intimidated to try making them, they seem like so much work!

I love the idea of frying them too. I'll have to try that!

Debbie said...

that looks so delicious!!! I really miss gnocchi - must try this some time!

Sal said...

sounds soo good, I love gnocchi

I ♥ puggies said...

OMG!!! They looks amazing. I love gnocchi.

jessy said...

your gnocchi looks perfect, Mandee! i love both styles! mmmmmmmmm! frying 'em up = brilliant! i'm gonna have to try this out (now i just need to get over my fear of making gnocchi!)!

seitanismymotor said...

Wow, these are beautiful! Great job.

Kelly said...

I know it's quite warm where you are right now but I cannot help but think how comforting and wintery those look. Nice job.

I bet they would be amazing with other kinds of potatoes like purple or sweet. Yum!

Susan said...

These look so great! I have made gnocchi once before, but the potatoes were boiled and then the gnocchi was boiled and it was OK but quite a soggy mass. Yours looks so much better! I might try it this way. Because I do love gnocchi!

Becks - Not a Rabbit. said...

Gnocchi making must be contagious, it's sweeping the blogosphere!! Maybe I should catch the gnocchi bug? Yours looks SO good!

Miss T said...

Fantastic idea to fry them! And they look perfectly done. I love the idea of pasta-making - meditative, like baking!

Miss T said...

Fantastic idea to fry them! And they look perfectly done. I love the idea of pasta-making - meditative, like baking!

Mandee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandee said...

Everyone should try these, they were really simple to make especially as I was expecting a big potatoeyfloury disaster!

Herbstsonne/Miss T - rolling the gnocchi is really relaxing! I think I will have to make 'em more often.

Kelly, I think I've seen a recipe for sweet potato gnocchi, so any type should work!

Kiersten said...

Your gnocchi look perfect! I really think I need to make gnocchi soon, it's been too long since I've had it. (By the way, I think Chris was mistaking gnocchi for orichette)

Thanks for the suggestion on my blog.

Sylvia said...

That looks amazing. I am so hungry right now..My best friend has allergies to gluten and everything we have made gluten free has been super heavy. This looks so light though! Definitely worth a try!
-Sylvia
Padron Cigars

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags