Sunday, May 30, 2010

More from Viva Vegan!


I've really enjoyed cooking from Viva Vegan! Here's a look at some of the other meals I've made and this post is also part of the E.A.T World Challenge as all of the recipes are from Central or South America.

Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas) gluten & soy free

I found dried pigeon peas while shopping for ingredients so I thought I would try out this recipe. I cooked it on the stove top rather than in the oven as my largest baking dish wasn't big enough and I threw the dried pigeon peas in with the rice without pre-cooking them.

I also made the Annatto-infused oil for this recipe, it's quick and easy to make and will last you a long time.




This is a great meal to have on it's own or you could make tostones to go with it or have a few slices of avocado along side it. The coriander really brings all the flavours together so don't leave it out!



Black Bean Sweet Potato Tamales - gluten & soy free

I set aside a day to make these as I'd read about how long they take. I actually really enjoyed being in the kitchen, making the tamales, wrapping them up while listening to music. It reminded me of making gnocchi as I find that quite a soothing thing to do as well.

I used a 450g sweet potato and found it wasn't enough, half way through I put another sweet potato in the oven so that I would have enough to finish the tamales. I got 21 tamales, not 24 out of the dough.

Here's a tamale before being wrapped: a layer of tamale dough, sweet potato then the black bean chipotle mixture.


I used baking paper to wrap them as pre-dried corn husks aren't available here. You can also use fresh corn husks or aluminium foil. I steamed them for 75 minutes.



And here they are with some left over rice and some avocado.




The black bean mixture was so spicy and delicious but it was balanced out by the sweet potato perfectly. I could have eaten half a dozen of them but stopped at two as they are very filling.


The rest went into the freezer and they make such an easy meal. You can reheat them in the microwave or by re-steaming them.

I found the how-to-make-tamales guide in the book easy to follow and it produced great results.

Guatita (Creamy Potato Peanut Stew) - gluten & soy free

I chose the chickpea option rather than use TVP and I left out the wine/beer, to deglaze the pan I used stock instead.

I've read comments about how involved the recipes in Viva Vegan! are but this was pretty easy as everything goes in the same pot and you can let it stew while you get on with other things.

The stew is delicious, creamy and peanutty and absolutely perfect for the rainy and wintery weather we've been having. I served it with brown rice and lots of coriander.



Coconut Tres Leches Cake - gluten & soy free

I made this gluten free by subbing in 3/4 C brown rice flour and 1/2 C quinoa flour for the all-purpose flour and I also used the 3 T of cornstarch called for in the recipe.

The syrup was delicious and mine made enough to cover the whole cake with none left over. I let the cake chill for 4 hours and then I added the topping.

I replaced the tofu with blended cashews that I'd soaked during the day, it worked well as a substitution and the topping was creamy.








The cake was quite soggy due to the syrup and the gluten free flours but after a night in the fridge it was easier to remove a slice from the pan. The cake was soft and sweet and very rich. I'm glad I made this now as I'm going to attempt going sugar-free during June but I couldn't start that without trying at least one dessert from Viva Vegan!



15 comments:

cseneque said...

I'll have to try the tamales! Thanks for posting the tip about baking paper; that makes them seem much more accessible.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yum, that all looks great, I think I'm getting Viva Vegan for my birthday in June&I can't wait to try the tamales.

Leinana Two Moons said...

Yum! Those all look amazing! Definitely inspired to try some more of the Viva Vegan recipes. Summertime = tamale time :)

Rose said...

Looks like youve been very busy cooking!
I like the look of the tamales with the rice and avocado mmmm
Im looking forward to see how your sugar free month goes :)

Rose

Toby said...

They all look awesome!!! I had tamales at Trippy Taco but they don't have filling. Yum. :-)

Mihl said...

Again, your pitures are so amazing. You would have been an awesome tester for Terry!

jessy said...

oh my goodness, Mandee - everything looks amazing! i've always wanted to make tamales, i think i'm gonna have to soon because yours look SO GOOD! hooray for so much deliciousness from viva vegan! i need to get Terry's book, and i think that's cool that you're gonna go sugar-free in June, Mandee. keep us posted on how it goes and all the yummies you eat. i'd like to cut back on sugar and maybe try sugar-free for a bit, too. i know it's horrible for me and i could stand to reduce it, fo 'sho.

bittersweetblog said...

Amazing! I'm especially drawn to the tamales... I know I love them, but haven't ever gotten up the courage to try making them. Perhaps this book would provide the reassurance I need. Here's hoping it will arrive at my local library soon, since I really need to start limiting my cookbook purchases!

Erin said...

That all looks absolutely amazing! Especially the rice and peas and the tamales.

Vaala ◪ said...

Seriously, that cake looks really good. But those Black Bean Sweet Potato Tamales also look delicious...I've developed a real liking to black beans.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Those tamales are gorgeous! I haven't had tamales since I left the states a few years ago and I miss them. I always thought I couldn't make them myself because I don't have corn husks....but, duh, baking paper. Genius!

amandasdomestic said...

These last two posts really, really, have made me kick myself for not indulging in this book earlier. I'm purchasing as we speak, thank you for the photo inspiration!! You make a damn good looking tamale!

AmiraE_Ta said...

Lets cross the bridge when we come to it..................................................

Mandee said...

Mihl - I would have loved to have been a tester for Terry if I'd known about it! But I also feel like I shouldn't test as I'll want to make everything gluten/soy free!

River - The Crafty Kook said...

Your E.A.T posts are kicking my E.A.T posts' butt! If you hadn't already convinced me to buy Viva Vegan, you would have definitely done it with these tamales. I am really looking forward to make some myself, and yours are a great inspiration.

I hadn't really thought about making the guatita, but yours looks so creamy and yummy that now I must make it. (copycat!)

The Coconut Tres Leches Cake looks beyond delicious! I love coconut anything! Thanks for the cashew tip! :)

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags