Tuesday, November 2, 2010

VeganMoFo2010 - E.A.T World Challenge: Belgium




It's day 2 of VeganMoFo2010 and I'm continuing with the E.A.T World Challenge. Welcome to Belgium! I'm sure you've all eaten plenty of waffles and chips so let's try some other traditional dishes.
Endive au Gratin - gluten and soy free
Traditionally the endives are wrapped in ham before being covered in the bechamel sauce but I skipped that step. If you like you could wrap them in Redwood Cheetin' style ham slices.
Ingredients
2 endives
1T cornflour
1T Nuttelex (vegan margarine)
3/4 C rice milk
a pinch of mustard powder
a pinch of salt
3/4 C cashews (soaked)
1/2 C water

Preheat the oven to 180C
Steam the endives for 5 minutes
Melt the Nuttelex in a small saucepan, add the corn flour and whisk to make a roux, 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the rice milk, stirring continuously until thickened.
Add the mustard powder and salt. Remove from heat.
Blend the cashews with the water until it's thickened into a paste. Whisk into the rice milk mixture.
Place the endives in a small baking dish. Pour the sauce over the endives and bake for 20 minutes.
This is my go-to white sauce so I loved that but I found the endives slightly bitter and wasn't a fan of the taste or texture.

Flemmish stew - gluten and soy free
This is a classic Belgian dish, similar to a bourguignon.
Ingredients
2T olive oil
350g portobello mushrooms, diced
1T rice flour
1 tin black beans
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1T dried parsley
175ml beer (I used O'Brien Gluten Free beer)
1/2 C vegetable or beef-style stock
salt
Toss the mushrooms in the flour while the oil is heating in a saucepan. Add the mushrooms to the pan, cook for 5 minutes.
Add the beans, onion, garlic and herbs, cook for 5 minutes. Add the beer and stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serves 4.
This was a really filling dish and it went perfectly with the endive au gratin. It would make a great dinner on a cold, winters night.


19 comments:

Kiersten said...

I have never been an endive fan either, which is weird since I usually like bitter foods. I bet your Flemmish stew came out yummy though!

Erin said...

I personally could never tire of chips and waffles, but your endive and stew look really nice too!

shellyfish said...

It's already day 2! Dear dog, I need to get some rest for more mad MoFo blogging tomorrow!
Those are both very common dishes here in France, too - I love your vegan versions! Bravo!

Tiffany said...

I'm not familiar with Flemish food, but it looks tasty. :) Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

They both look SO good. This is going to be a fun MoFo in Kitteh world!

Allyson said...

I am soooo intrigued by this whole endive dish- although I am reading it aloud to my hubs and he is scrunching up his nose with remarks of endive's bitter taste! I think I may have to try and make this! So cool you are blogging worldly eats!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Whoa. That looks amazing and yummy!

Amey said...

hey fellow international food fan! I actually like endive. I like how they are a little crunchy. happy international eating, I"ll be keeping an eye on your blog for good ideas :)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

The endives dish looks so so good! I have never eaten endives because I'm scared of the bitterness.

Glorious mushrooms! Another recipe I might do for MoFo. So many recipes, so little time!

JennShaggy said...

Oh goodness those endives look divine!

Thank you so much, Mandee. I'm so glad you're going to pick up a copy. It means a lot to me :)

Vanessa said...

Um, hello Mr White Sauce, don't mind if I bookmark you.
x Canuck In Scotland, aka Vanessa, aka VeganKitchenDiaries.
PS. Having you comment on my blog gave me the excitement of meeting an a-list celebrity. Coooooool....

celyn said...

You are setting the bar high! The endive looks particularly good!

Michelle said...

Wow, that Endive dish is so unique. They both look so good! Mmm comfort dish on the second one.

Hannah said...

That endive dish looks fantastic, although I don't think I've ever eaten anything like it. You had me at mustard :)

And surely you finished off this Belgian meal with chocolate, right? Vegan truffles, though :)

Noelle said...

The endive dish is very unique!

Emmy said...

I'll be posting a Belgian stew with beer in it as well for MoFo. Belgium's certainly love beer!
Loving your MoFo theme too!!

Angela said...

I have never heard of either of those dishes but they look mighty tasty!

Jeni Treehugger said...

I can't remember if I've had endive before?? Crazy I know but there ya go...that looks flipping good anyhow.

heather said...

The stew sounds very good.

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive