Wednesday, November 3, 2010

VeganMoFo2010 - E.A.T World Challenge: Cote d'Ivoire



It's Day 3 of VeganMoFo and my E.A.T World Challenge. Today I'm cooking meals from the Cote d'Ivoire (the Ivory Coast). The Cote d'Ivoire is located in West Africa and many ethnic groups contribute to the cuisine and there is a lot of emphasis placed on grains, tubers and vegetables.

Fufu - gluten and soy free
Fufu (or foufou) is the national dish. Fufu is a starchy mash eaten along side with soups, stews or dishes with sauce. Usually it is made with cassava or yams. Since I was unable to find either of these I made mine with taro. If you're unable to find taro you can also used mashed potatoes. Taro can be toxic in its raw form so wash your hands after handling and make sure you cook it well.

Ingredients
450g taro, peeled and cubed
1 T Nuttelex (vegan margarine) - optional
Enough water to cover the taro

Boil water and add the taro. Cook for 1 hour.

Drain the taro and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Add taro to a large bowl, mash or put through a potato ricer. Mix into a paste. Add the Nuttelex if you wish to use it.

Roll into balls and serve with your meal.


Mafé - gluten and soy free
Mafe is a popular West African dish. It's a stew made with meat and peanuts but I've used portobellos in place of meat.

Ingredients
1T olive oil
450g portobellos, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t ginger, minced (optional)
2T tomato paste
1 tin diced tomatoes
1C vegetable stock
1C natural peanut butter
salt to taste

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the mushrooms, garlic and ginger cook for 5 minutes.

Add the tomato paste, cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, bring to a boil then simmer for 8 minutes.

Add the stock to bring it to a stew-like consistency then add in the peanut butter. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat, season and serve with fufu.

Serves 4.

I really liked the flavour of this dish, who doesn't love a meal that includes a peanutty sauce? The mushrooms were a great substitute too. The fufu was also a nice addition as I love the nutty taste of taro.


15 comments:

Mihl said...

What? You're already on day three? Yay Australia!

This looks like an amzing dish. I need to try it out!the

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Mandee you're making me want to start doing E.A.T World again! Your Fufu and Mafe look very flavorful. Peanutty sauce? Yes please!

I made your Cauliflower Cheeze and it was the bomb! I will be making it very frequently from now on! :)

caribbeanvegan said...

the dasheen looks really good. The place u are getting the dasheen from does not have other root vegetables or u get it from a regular supermarket. I am loving this tour.

Amanda said...

whoa! you've blown my mind! happy MoFo!!

dreaminitvegan said...

I love your theme this month.
African dishes are real tasty.

I forgot it's day 3 for you already.

jessy said...

both of these African dishes look amazing, Mandee! they both sound, and look, great (sign me up for anything peanutty!)! i've never heard of taro, so i'm gonna try mashed potatoes when i make the fufu (or maybe i'll use yams if i can find 'em) - and the mafe flavors sound wonderful! hooray for more E.A.T World yummies!

lazysmurf said...

That looks so good! We used to have an African restaurant here with fufu and I really miss it because I love it.

I got some cassava chips today and was so disappointed because they were nothing like the vege chips.

Erin said...

I didn't trust peanut butter and tomatoes as a good flavor combo until I had my first version of ground nut stew, and now I know it's fantastic! Yours looks thick and lovely.

Vicki said...

That stew looks great, I love African peanutty meals.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Awesome! The first time I ever heard of fufu was on Good Times. I really should attempt to make it!

Amey said...

wow, great! I've been looking at Fufu recipes for my upcoming meals from africa. There are SO many countries to choose from! After Mofo is over, I think I'll continue with this idea, along the lines of EAT world. It's such a fun thing, isn't it??

tiffannysketchbook said...

just found your blog.
oh your dishes look so good!! I love finding new vegan recipes.

K said...

Wow, I've never even heard of Cote d'Ivoire. I'm impressed, it looks great.

shellyfish said...

This looks so delicious! I wouldn't have thought to veganise mafé, brilliant! It sounds delicious = recipe bookmarked!

Dawn said...

Sounds and looks delish! I'm loving your theme.

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive