Friday, November 12, 2010

VeganMoFo2010 - E.A.T World Challenge: Korea


It's day 12 of VeganMofo and day 11 of my E.A.T World Challenge! Today I'm in Korea, located in Eastern Asia.

Zucchini pancake - gluten and soy free
This recipe was already vegan I just had to make it gluten free.
1 small zucchini (about 150g), sliced into small strips
1/2 C chickpea flour
1/2 C water
1/2 t salt
2 T olive oil
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1/2 C of batter to the pan, press down with a spatula. After a minute tilt the frying pan to allow the oil underneath the pancake.
Cook for another 2 minutes then flip the pancake over. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
Makes 2 pancakes.

The chickpea flour worked really well here, it gave the pancake a lovely colour and it held together well, too. It was a really simple snack and quite plain in flavour so you could add your favourite herbs or spices if you like.

Sweet and Spicy Portobellos - gluten and soy free
canola or olive oil for frying
3 portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C chickpea flour
2 t Orgran No Egg + 4 T water, mixed together
2 t salt
1/2 C water
5cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
2 t salt
1/4C raw sugar
1/4 C vinegar
1/2 C rice syrup
1/2 C peanuts, toasted on a hot pan
1 small red chilli, diced (seed if you don't want too much heat)

Heat 3-4 T of oil in a large wok, Mix together the chickpea flour, salt and egg replacer mix. Add the mushroom slices and coat. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
In a saucepan heat the water, once simmering add the ginger, cook for 2 minutes. Add the salt, sugar and vinegar, simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the rice syrup and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour the sauce over the mushrooms. Mix in the chilli and peanuts.
Serves 2-3.
The original recipe is call sweet and crispy chicken but portobellos don't get crispy so I changed the name. And the original recipe used corn syrup which I replaced with rice syrup. The sauce was sweet and sticky and it went really well with the peanuts and chilli but next time I wouldn't bother with coating the mushrooms, I would just cook them plain. I think vegan chick'n strips or nuggets would work better in this sort of meal or even tofu or Burmese tofu.

15 comments:

susank said...

Yum, Korean is one of my favorite cuisines. I'll have to try those pancakes. Sadly, I'm allergic to mushrooms, but I can imagine tofu working well with your second recipe!

VeggieAmanda said...

I grew up with a very similar dish to the zucchini one you list here. The difference was that the batter was made with eggs and had parm cheese. Also, it wasn't a flattened cake, more like a blob. :-) I have always wanted to recreate the recipe. I think this one would work nicely with vegan parm. You made my day!

mangocheeks said...

The courgette pancake looks lovely and crisp.

Rose said...

Both of these look so good. I love sweet/sour/spicy combos.

Tiffany said...

Looks great! The zucchini pancake looks perfectly golden and crisp. :) Your chickpea flour version sounds good--will have to try that next time.

jessy said...

i can see how maybe using burmese 'fu or maybe even something like green beans might work. it sounds super delicious though, and i like the peanuts. i love peanuts. so much. ah ha ha! i'm gonna have to make those zucchini pancakes - they look great, and i might even toss in some green onions, too. such tasty, tasty eats, Mandee! yummah!

Cookin' Vegan said...

You just made my mouth water with that glorious zucchini pancake. Still watering.... And mushrooms, you don't have to convince me!

caribbeanvegan said...

love the bello dish looks so hot and hearty
I would like that pancake for brunch so nice and crispy...:)

shellyfish said...

Korea sounds great! I usually have a tough time finding vegan food in Korean restaurants, but I'll just tell them to make me these!

Emmy said...

That marinade/sauce sounds really good. Might have to try it with some tofu!

Catofstripes said...

I love courgette pancakes, although I'm not going to be making any now until next summer when the glut arrives. Then, another cooking method is essential, especially when it's as good as this.

Megan said...

I looove Korean! When I was in Korea (many years ago), the grandmother of my host cooked up the most amazing vegetable pancakes... they were crepe-thin and filled with delicious green onions. It definitely got me inspired to make them at home, usually with green onion and capsicum. I'm definitely going to put in some zucchini next time! :) Serve it with Korean hot sauce, that'll spice it up a little!

a-k said...

Both of those look so good! I'm happy to see Asian foods being made soy-free (although I'm learning a lot of the Asian food outside of Asia is actually more soy-heavy than it is there). Zucchini pancakes = yummo!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That zucchini pancake! Yum!

celyn said...

Beautiful, and sounds totally delicious! Yay!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive