Monday, November 1, 2010

VeganMoFo2010 - E.A.T World Challenge: Algeria


Happy VeganMoFo everyone! Yes, this year has gone by fast and it's already time to spend the month of November blogging about vegan food and this will be my third year of mofoing! Check out the VeganMoFo blog to see all of the participants and for round ups of each week.
Earlier this year I participated in River's E.A.T World challenge, I made recipes from France, the Caribbean and Central & South America. I've decided to continue on with the E.A.T World challenge as my VeganMofo theme. I'll be visiting a different country each day, veganising traditional meals as well as making them gluten and soy free. I'll be travelling in alphabetical order, today I'm visiting Algeria.
Algeria is located in North Africa and the cuisine has Berber, Turkish and French flavours and influences.
Clementine Salad - gluten and soy free
Clementines are a mixture of bitter oranges and mandarins. We don't have them here so I used a mandarins. We also do not have mache here so I used rocket which was also a suggestion in the original recipe.
Ingredients
2 mandarins, peeled and separated into segments
2 handfuls of rocket
1 salad onions, sliced into rings
1 T pine nuts
1 T lemon juice
2 T olive oil
Toss salad ingredients together in a bowl. Mix lemon juice and olive, drizzle over salad when ready to serve. Serves 2.

This was a lovely summery salad and the mandarin contracted well with the bitter rocket.

Harira - gluten & soy free

Harira is a popular meal during Ramadan when it is made and consumed to break the daily fast. It usually contains lamb as well as chickpeas but here I've used chickpeas & French lentils.

Ingredients
2 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1/2 t turmeric
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t nutmeg
1 tin of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c vegetable stock
1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 c French lentils, rinsed
1 T chickpea flour + 1/4 c water
salt to taste
1/4 c coriander and parsley, diced - to taste
1/2 lemon, cut into wedges

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and celery, cook until onion is translucent. Add the spices and cook for another minute.

Add the tomatoes, cook for 4 minutes. Add the stock, chickpeas and lentils. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.

Mix the chickpea flour and water together, add to the stew and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Season, add the coriander and parsley and serve with a lemon wedge.


This was a delicious stew and it was so full of flavour. The cinnamon is a really delicious addition as is the lemon juice. I also found it filling due to the chickpeas and lentils, I doubt anyone would miss the meat!

And now I'm off to see what the rest of you MoFo'ers are up to!


17 comments:

Michelle said...

Ooo, this is such a fun theme! Happy VeganMoFo! That soup sounds super-yummy and all comfort-food like. Win!

lazysmurf said...

Great theme! Happy MoFo!

Vegan Wheekers said...

I agree, great theme! Look forward to seeing the worldwide goodies you come up with!

dolmadez said...

Very interesting theme! Looking forward to the other countries.

Hannah said...

Brilliant idea! And if every post is as tasty-lookin' as this one, we've all got a wonderful month ahead :D

celyn said...

Beautiful, and they both look delicious! Happy MoFo!

Tea and Sympatico said...

Great idea! That stew looks delicious.Looking forward to reading the other posts.

vegan.in.brighton said...

What a great MoFo theme, I can't wait to see what else you veganised this month.

Hannah said...

Whoa! I've been completely obsessed with clementines lately will be making that salad ASAP.

Happy MoFo!

Jeni Treehugger said...

AWESOME theme - can't wait to see more! That salad looks DA BOMB!

Laura said...

This is a great idea for a theme! I can't wait to see all of the recipes from all of the different countries!!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Looks delicious, Mandee!

Vicki said...

Love your theme! The harira looks delicious & I am intrigued by that salad as I wouldn't have thought about putting mandarins in a salad but I think it would be really good.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

YAY! You're doing E.A.T World! You just made my day! :D

I *love* clementines! And the soup is so gorgeous, I might try that recipe for an upcoming MoFo.

organarchy said...

Happy World Vegan Day & MoFo'ing!

Seglare said...

I'm doing the same theme for the Vegan MoFo (though I'll do it over a longer period of time). So excited to see what else you're doing to make - and from which countries! :)

Rose said...

Great recipes! I love this EAT the World Challenge, what fun! My "road trip" is randomly chosen for me, but I hope I get to some of the other places you've visited so far...it all looks so good.

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive