Monday, November 8, 2010

VeganMoFo2010 - E.A.T World Challenge: Germany



Guten tag! Today I'm in Germany for day 8 of VeganMoFo and day 7 of my E.A.T World Challenge.
When I was in Germany I wasn't vegan so I ate a lot of my friend's favourite things like chips und mayonaise, currywurst and spaetzle. I decided to re-create spaetzle because I couldn't remember what it was like!
Spätzle with lentils - gluten and soy free
Spätzle (or spaetzle) is like a dumpling or noodle and they contain eggs, sometimes they are topped with cheese or lentils. Luckily for me a clever vegan, Anna of The Vegan Village, has already created a vegan version so all I had to do was make it gleegan.
If you have a potato ricer you can push the dough through it to create the spätzle or flatten your dough on a chopping board and cut off thin strips and push them into the boiling water.
Ingredients
1/2 C corn flour
2 T Nuttelex (vegan margarine), softened
1 t salt
1/2 - 3/4 C water
1 T olive oil
1 tin lentils, rinsed and drained
1 onion, diced
1/2 C water
2 t red wine vinegar
salt, to taste
Put a large pot of water on to boil. Mix ingredients together to form a smooth, sticky dough, about as thick as biscuit dough.
Salt the boiling water. Pinch of some dough, put it in your ricer and push into the water. Let them boil for a few minutes. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and place on a plate/in a bowl with a bit of melted Nuttelex or olive oil to stop them from sticking. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
Heat oil in a frying pan, add onion and cook for 5 minutes, add lentils, water and vinegar, cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and serve with spätzle.
Serves 4.
Lecker! This was so delicious, I didn't know if the lentils & vinegar combination was going to be a good topping but I'd read that it was and I was so happy I went with it, it was good.

Gingerbread biscuits - gluten and soy free

In Germany there are two forms of gingerbread, a soft version, Lebkuchen and a harder version. I asked the lovely Mihl if she could help me out as I wanted to know if the gingerbread we make here (and in the UK/USA) is close enough to the traditional kind and kindly sent me a German recipe which I plan on making very soon - thanks Mihl!

For these biscuits I used my favourite recipe that comes from the PPK. It works well with gluten free flours and with blackstrap molasses or treacle (which is our version of molasses).

Ingredients
1/3 C canola oil
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C rice milk
1/4 C molasses (treacle in Australia)

1 1/2 C brown rice flour
1/4 C tapioca flour
1/4 C potato flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder

2 t ginger
1/2 t nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves

In a bowl, whisk together oil and sugar. Add milk and molasses and combine.
Sift together dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients in 3 batches, forming a stiff dough.

Flatten dough into a disk, wrap with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for at least an hour or up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 180C. Remove dough from fridge and let it sit while the oven preheats. Line baking trays with baking paper. After 10 minutes roll out dough on a well floured bench top. Cut out your shapes and place them onto the baking trays. If they stick, use more flour on the bench top or try using a spatula to pick them up.

Bake for 8 minutes. Allow them to cool on the tray for 2-3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Once cool they are ready for icing.

For a super quick icing, mix icing sugar with a small amount of water. Keep adding either sugar or water until you get a thick paste. Add to a piping bag with a very small hole then ice your biscuits.



These are the horses I made for our bake sale on Saturday. I love this recipe and I always up the ginger for extra spiciness.


15 comments:

bitt said...

These look so delicious. A great bake sale item for sure.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Guten tag! The noodley dough looks like spaghetti! Aww, the gingery horsies are so adorable! <3

Juliana said...

super super super cute :D thanks for sharing the recipe ! see ya !

Dawn said...

I made ginger cookies today too! Yours are so cute

celyn said...

Lovely cookies, and the spaezle and lentils look so yum! I've never heard the term gleegan before--it's so cute!

dreaminitvegan said...

I've wanted to make spaetzle yours turned out so nice. What kind of flour is in Ogran flour? Is it a combination of gf flours?

Mihl is great isn't she? I love your gingerbread, I love gingerbread.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Awesome, Mandee! Plus, those horses are so super cute!

Rose said...

mmm I love gingerbread! The spaetzle look SO good!! So you could use the same dough to make dumplings I guess? Ive been wanting to make my own pasta for ages, this would be the next best thing.

Rose

shellyfish said...

I was reading too fast and saw "gluten tag", and was like what? That'll teach me for not paying attention!

Mihl is the best - I agree! Do you know she has a currywurst recipe on her blog? I haven't tried it yet, but I am tempted!

I am jealous of your horse cookie cutter! Those cookies are adorable.

phoenixdreaming said...

Awwww horsies! :D

jessy said...

so super awesome on the gluten-free spaetzle, Mandee! the dish looks amazing, and i looooove the little gingerbread horses! they're adorable - and i can't wait to make some for myself! it's coming up on the holidays and i could sure use a tasty gluten-free recipe like yours. thanks, Mandee!

Emmy said...

How cute is your gingerbread? Too cute!

Mihl said...

Homemade spätzle? You are my hero!!!

And the gingerbread horse is very adorable.

Amey said...

wow, this is great. I'm stoked to have a GF gingerbread recipe on hand. I love the horsies! :)

Erin said...

Love the gingerbread horsies!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive