Tuesday, November 30, 2010

VeganMoFo2010 - E.A.T World Challenge: Zambia


Today is the 30th and final day of VeganMoFo 2010! It's also day 25 of my E.A.T World Challenge, I'm in Zambia in Southern Africa.

Icele abuntele (groundnut porridge) - gluten and soy free
This is a popular breakfast meal in Zambia, where groundnuts (peanuts) are very common.

Ingredients
1/4 C rice
1 T peanut butter
1 1/4 C water
1/4 t salt
1/2 T maple syrup

Add the rice, water and peanut butter to a rice cooker or saucepan. Cover and cook until done using the rice cooker or for 15-20 minutes in a saucepan.

Stir in the salt, drizzle with maple syrup and eat while warm. Serves 1.

This was amazing! The rice was soft and creamy and it was just enough peanut butter to give it a delicious flavour but if you're a pb-fiend, add some more. Usually the recipe would use brown sugar but maple syrup worked really well. This is going to be a regular winter brekky for me.

Gbegiri (black-eye bean soup) - gluten and soy free

Ingredients
1T olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 C black-eye beans, cooked and partially mashed (I boiled them for an hour before adding to the stew)
1 T tomato paste
1 C tinned diced tomatoes
1 C vegetable stock
salt, to taste

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans, tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and salt. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with rice or bread. Serves 4.


This was a filling and simple soup to prepare, perfect for this rainy weather we're having.

And we're done! 30 posts in 30 days, I am so ready for a blog-break! I love VeganMoFo and I definitely challenged myself this year, cooking 2 meals a day for 25 out of 30 days was a lot but I enjoyed it so much. My parents probably enjoyed it more than me as I took leftovers to them almost every day!

I visited 25 countries for the E.A.T World Challenge, my favourites were Algeria, England, Germany, Italy, Jamaica, Lebanon, New Caledonia, Portugal, Russia, U.S.A and Zambia but really I enjoyed every country. Here's a list of them in case you missed some:


I also loved finding more vegan blogs to read and I appreciate every comment I received too! *hi5* to everyone who participated :)


17 comments:

andrea said...

That soup looks great!!
I liked your Jamaica post, too.

Vicki said...

Awesome effort!! You definitely deserve a bit of a break now, but I really enjoyed all your mofo posts.

Susan said...

Congratulations on a very awesome MoFo. :) I love how you took us to new and interesting food places that I probably never would have thought of. Very cool!

Now, go and have a rest. :)

a-k said...

I applaud your determination and follow-through for so many posts! (I don't think I even made 1/2...yet :)

Your theme and posts were so inspiring to check out more cuisines that I'm less familiar with...thanks!

Rose said...

The recipes look great! I'm going to have to go back through the list and see all the posts I missed. I did a few posts on Algerian food during MoFo too, and those recipes were some of my favs too!

Erin said...

Congrats on successfully completing your challenge! I've enjoyed reading every entry.

lisa said...

High five to YOU! So amazing. And I looooove the look of that peanut butter rice thing. Can't wait to try it!

dreaminitvegan said...

You did a wonderful job with all of the recipes from around the world. Thanks for all of your hard work with putting it all together.

celyn said...

Applause! You are awesome.

Emmy said...

I'm not a breakfast person but that Icele Abuntele looks and sounds really good. I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and well done you for posting everyday it wasn't always easy!!! It's a bit sad it's all over but I think we all need a break and time to catch up on everyone's posts! Now to keep a regular blogging schedule out of MoFo!!!

shellyfish said...

Right on for MoFo Posting madness! Your taking us around the world and back again AND feeding us has been just great!
That porridge sounds like a winner to me.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

kick ass!

jessy said...

sweeeeeeeeet awesomeness on the 30 posts in 30 days, Mandee! you rock so hard!

LOVE that porridge & the black-eyed pea soup. they both sound easy enough to make, ever-so delicious, and they look miiiiiighty tasty!

hooray for all of the E.A.T World Challenge yummies you created! yay!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Mandee, you are such a blogging inspiration! You kicked some serious MoFo *and* E.A.T World butt! You make E.A.T World look good! :D

Theresa said...

Ooh, peanut breakfast porridge! want!!

Good job on mofo, and your eat world challenge. Very impressive!!

Jessica @ Lima's Vegan Kitchen said...

this looks soooo amazing!!!! (and inspiring!) For a second I thought you were actually in all of those countries and I kept thinking...jeez, I gotta get myself a job like that! Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I know I'm still catching up on all things MoFo, but your blog was definitely in my favorites. I felt like I was going to all the different countries with you. Hee hee. :)

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive