Monday, November 29, 2010

VeganMoFo2010 - E.A.T World Challenge: Yemen


It's day 29 of VeganMoFo, 1 more day! And it's day 24 of my E.A.T World Challenge, today I'm in Yemen, located on the Arabian Peninsula. I had to skip the letter X as there are no countries that begin with X!

This is a spicy relish added that can be added to lots of meals

Ingredients
1 t olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T tomato paste
1/2 t salt
1/4 t of ground cardamom, caraway, coriander
1/8 t cayenne pepper

Heat the oil in a small pan, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes over low heat. Combine the garlic with the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.


Usually the garlic is used raw so feel free to skip cooking it if you prefer.

Lentil Stew - gluten and soy free

Ingredients
2 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 T coriander, chopped
1/2 C Puy lentils, rinsed
3 C water
1 C tinned diced tomatoes
1/4 C rice
1 t salt
2 T zhug (recipe above)

Heat oil in a saucepan, add the onion and coriander, cook for 5 minutes. Add the lentils and water, cook for 20 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, rice and salt. Cook for 3o minutes. Stir through zhug and serve hot. Serves 4.


The stew had a great consistency and was good on it's own but the zhug added so much more flavour. It was also really filling thanks to the lentils and the rice.

6 comments:

VeggieAmanda said...

The relish looks great! I don't think I have had it before, but I can tell by the ingredients that I will love it.

Amey said...

I think there are a lot more recipes to explore from Yemen! I just did a quicky for Yemen this mofo, but I found LOTS of interesting Yemeni recipes. What fun!

Erin said...

The zhug sounds like a nice condiment for almost anything!

aimee said...

Mandee,
Thank you for sharing the zhug recipe. I'd never heard of it!
xo
Aimee

Rose said...

The Zhug sounds delicious! Good job on the MoFo theme! You got it covered from A-Z (well, I assume Z is forthcomeing) I really enjoyed all your posts and all the fantastic food from around the world.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

This looks super easy and absolutely delicious!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive