Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cooking my way through Viva Vegan!

Last year I cooked a lot of recipes from Viva Vegan! but after moving into our new place I didn't use my cookbooks for a few months but I dug them out a couple of months ago and have decided I will cook my way through Viva Vegan! These recipes bring my total to 75, only another 75 to go!

All of the meals below are gluten free and soy free.

Chimichurri mushrooms, pickled red onions, black bean, corn salsa salad



I loved the chimichurri sauce and I used portobello mushrooms instead of tofu.



I've never pickled anything before but the recipe for the pickled red onions was really easy and I loved them, I used them in a few more meals below, they add great flavour.




The black bean corn salsa salad was really fresh and summery




Mushroom saltado

I used portobello mushroom instead of seitan and I really loved this meal, it was so filling thanks to the potato




Alfajores (buttery cookies with thick Dulce de Leche filling)

These cookies are similar to shortbread and turned out really well gluten free, I used a mix of brown rice, potato and tapioca flours.




I used Mimic Creme in the filling and it was delicious! It reminded me of a caramel spread we used to eat as kids.



Eggplant Torta sandwich with spinach, Brail nut, gazpacho salad

I used a Schar gluten free roll for the torta and Plamil rice mayonnaise for the mayo. These sandwiches made such a good lunch, especially with the salad.



The salad was another really refreshing salad thanks to the gazpacho salad dressing, it is so good.




Quinotto (quinoa mushroom risotto)

This was one of those meals that I want to make every night for dinner! I used button mushrooms instead of oyster or cremini and aji panca because I can't find aji amarillo (I'd really like to get a jar to use in some other VV! recipes)




Black-eyed butternut tostadas with fresh tomato salsa and pan grilled chilli lime vegetables


Let's start with the tostadas, holy macaroni with pepperjack, these are good! I don't really enjoy pumpkin, I find it too sweet but when it was combined with the beans and all the onion, chilli and spice, it was delicious. And I loved the addition of the salsa and pickled red onions.



For the vegetables I used stock instead of beer and I added some jarred nopalitos (cactus paddles) as suggested in the recipe and I really liked the taste and texture of them. The veggies made a great side dish.



Cuban black bean soup

This was a soup full of flavour and super filling, it also made a lot and it was the perfect lunch for the rainy weather we had a week or two ago.



Peruvian potatoes with spicy, cheezy sauce

This is the only dish that I haven't absolutely loved from VV! but that's because I don't like nutritional yeast which is a main ingredient in the sauce. It was still a great dish and nooch-loves would probably eat the sauce by the spoonful.




Real brown sugar limeade



This was delicious! I made it for a bbq we had on the weekend and I've been asked for the recipe. It was sweet but the lime cut through it and I added some mint which was a great garnish. I can imagine it would be even better during summer.



Tomato salad with sweet, crisp onions

This was a really great salad, the onions weren't over powering and the dressing was really sharp and zesty



Mushroom anticuchos (Peruvian mushroom and potato skewers)

I used button mushrooms instead of seitan and marinated them for an hour or two before making the skewers. I loved the marinade, it wasn't too spicy but added a lot of flavour to the veggies



You can expect more Viva Vegan! posts from me as well as some photos from my garden which I'm planning at the moment!

28 comments:

Allyson said...

This book seems amazing from what I've seen... but this post makes it look especially delicious. I have got to get my hands on it, once and for all! Everything looks phenomenal.

C said...

That all looks so very yummy!

ReneeMBM said...

Looks like an amazing bunch of recipes, and fresher/less overcooked-ish than other books, too.

Mushrooms are the best. I so rarely eat tofu now. It's just easier to go with shrooms, since they're at the farmer's markets and so much cheaper and tastier! I always end up buying tempeh/miso instead of tofu when I'm in stores, too. How do you go with eating fermented soy?

vegangela said...

Oh my goodness, everything looks so fresh and tasty! :)

Emmy said...

Yum, I have loved everything from that book so far. You're pictures look so good!

Hannah said...

Oooh, the pickled onions and the quinoa risotto look amazing! (As does everything, but I'm feeling overwhelmed :P )

VeggieAmanda said...

The dishes all look so delicious! Your post made me hungry! :-)

lazysmurf said...

I love it all! I just made the corn and quinoa soup the other night and it was a huge hit. You have to get your hands on the aji amarillo peppers, when we do another swap I will send you some, they are the best.

Tea and Sympatico said...

Mmm, very inspiring. I made the pastel de choclo from this book the other week and it was great. Must ry some more of the recipes.

Caitlin said...

i find it so inspiring and amazing that you are able to substitute so many things to make everything soy-free and gluten-free.

this blog post makes me want to go out and get this cookbook! everything looks amazing.

i've never seen schar rolls, but i've got to get my hands on them!

and as a random side note, i find it very interesting that you don't like nutritional yeast!

Kiersten said...

I was thinking of buying that book a while ago, but I haven't done it yet. How about you just come over here and make all these recipes for me? :)

Mel said...

Viva Vegan is one of my favorite cookbooks and I love the regional variations that Terry provides for some of the recipes. It's impressive that you have made so many recipes from it, most of these are ones I haven't made yet.

I liked the chimichurri sauce but found that it was fairly potent and you could still taste it the next day. Must try the quinotto and the saltado, they have been bookmarked for a while...

Geanna said...

Oh wow, they all look so good - it has inspired me to take another look at the cookbook!

susank said...

Yum, looks amazing! I just made those cookies over the weekend, but I did the lazy method of smashing the dough and didn't bother to sandwich them-- I just spread the filling on before eating. Very inspiring post!

dreaminitvegan said...

Everything you made looks picture perfect! What a great idea of using portobello mushrooms instead of Seitan. I'll have to remember that for my son.

Those potato skewers are really good.

bitt said...

so much I still need to make from this book! we've done the papusas and the homemade tortillas and they were great. we even got a tortilla press because homemade is like 1,000 times better than store bought.

Erin said...

Holy cow, this all looks amazing! I don't even know what to comment on because it all looks so good.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) said...

Wow! That IS a lot of cooking. It all looks delicious! And those cookies look cute :)
I think it's a fun 'experiment' to cook so much things from one cookbook in a row.

Jayne said...

What a deliciously colourful post! I've been cooking from Viva Vegan a lot this week. Many of the seitan dishes are among my favourites.

Theresa said...

okay, I definitely need to get that cookbook. Those pickled red onions are just the prettiest pink colour!

shannonmarie said...

I think you made me hungry. I'd probably try everything.

The color of the pickled onions is lovely. They're such a pretty pink.

Those cookies look especially tasty. They are perfectly shaped, too.

kolo50 said...

Loved the Mushroom anticuchos (Peruvian mushroom and potato skewers)
I wonder how it is made??

jsoleil said...

YUM! Thanks for these.
I've just ordered the book and very excited about trying some of the recipes out!

http://veganshavesuperpowers.weebly.com/my-vegan-blog.html

lorrwill said...

Just found your blog - please, please, please, please post more.

Purr and Thank You!

cadryskitchen.com said...

After seeing your pictures of the butternut black bean tostadas, it is clear that I need to make those ASAP. It's so much fun to see all of the amazingly beautiful food you've made from Viva Vegan. That cookbook is incredible. It seems like I'm picking new favorites all the time, but the saltado is definitely in the top five.

jsoleil said...

cadryskitchen,

Thanks for the tip on the saltado.

I bought the book but haven't tackled any of the recipes yet (I'm still getting through all the PPK books!)

Please let me know any other favourites so I can try them first!

www.vegans-have-superpowers.blogspot.com

Dawn said...

You continually amaze me! These are beautiful. I am doing afr for week one of the cookbook challenge, but I'm gonna have to do viva vegan later.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Love it! Those anticucho skewers are mighty tasty

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags