Monday, October 31, 2011

VeganMoFo2011 Day 31: Viva Vegan! Sopes and Empanadas



Today is the last day of VeganMoFo for 2011! Congratulations to everyone who participated, it's been a lot of fun, as usual!

For my last post I have some more meals from Viva Vegan! plus a recipe for vegan, gluten free, soy free chorizo.

Chorizo-Spinach Sopes
Sopes are small tortillas with a raised edge and the filling for these ones includes chorizo so I this time I wrote down what I did so I can share it with you guys.

Chorizo - vegan, gluten free, soy free
Adapted from this recipe + the chorizo recipe in Viva Vegan! - makes 3 links of chorizo

1/2 C chickpea flour
1/2 C brown rice flour
1/4 C tapioca starch
2 t salt
3 t paprika
3 t chilli powder (I used durango this time)
2 t dried oregano
2 t cumin
1 t ground coriander

1/4 C stock
2 T tomato paste
2 T annatto oil
2 T red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced

In separate bowls mix together the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients. Add the dry to the wet and mix to combine. 

Lay out three pieces of aluminium foil, each about half the size of an A4 sheet of paper. Divide the mix into three and place onto the foil in a log shape. Roll each piece of foil up and twist the ends like bonbons. 

Steam for 20 minutes then remove from the heat. Let cool for 5 minutes then unwrap and slice.



I don't know what texture seitan is supposed to have, you can let me know in the comments if you like, but I think these make a decent substitute for most recipes that call for chorizo/sausages made from seitan. You can also bake them but I think they dry out a little more.

Bake to the sopes, I'm definitely not going to win any sopes-shaping contests as I had trouble with mine. I think I might have made the mix too wet as I found they kept sticking to my hands so I gave up trying to make them perfect, I fried them and then set them on a baking tray while I made the rest. After sitting on the tray for a while, the mix dried and I was able to shape them a bit better, so if you have trouble, just wait for them to dry out and then pinch the sides up more.


I was hesitant to use spinach in the filling because I think cooked spinach is gross and slimy but I did it anyway and I'm happy I did. I used  baby spinach and I added some red cabbage, avocado and cashew crema for the toppings.

These were delicious and I really, really liked the spinach - it's a miracle! The filling was garlicky, limey and so they made for a very satisfying dinner.


Empandas Humitas (Creamy Corn-filled Empanadas)
I'd only made one of the empanada recipes from Viva Vegan! so I was keen to try some more. I decided to try two more of them again using the corn-based dough.

I used fresh corn, shallots and rice milk instead of creamer and this filling was really easy to whip up.





I thought I might not like the filling as corn is quite sweet but this was really yummy, soft and I liked the addition of lemon juice and cayenne.

Bolivian Salteñas (Sweet and Spicy Mushroom-Potato Empanadas)
These empanadas are meant to be made with wheat dough and shaped standing up with a crimped edge but I used the same corn dough as I used for the corn-filled empanadas so I shaped them the same way and I fried them too. For the filling I used mushrooms instead of seitan and I left out the olives.


These were also great, they are sweet and spicy but again I didn't mind the sweetness as it really worked.



I just got interrupted by some trick-or-treaters, yay! I thought we might not get any like most years but we did. I really wanted to carve a pumpkin for the first time this year but I didn't get around to it, maybe next year. If you're celebrating Halloween this year, I hope you have fun.

So that's it for VeganMoFo2011! It's been awesome but I am ready for a blog-holiday for a week or so. I've enjoyed reading so many blogs and discovering new ones and I've appreciated every single comment left on my posts too.

30 comments:

jessy said...

this is one tasty and fantastical final 2011 MoFo post, Mandee! i cannot wait to try out your soy-free gluten-free chorizo!!! it looks awesome and i think your sopes look delightful! i haven't made empanadas but once, in my pre-gluten-free days....all of yours look absolutely awesome - i'm gonna have to give them a whirl! i really miss them.

happy halloween to you, my friend and hooooooooooooray for trick-or-treaters!

VeggieAmanda said...

That chorizo looks awesome! I have never attempted to make it, but I think I'll try now! :-)

beansfigsandkatz said...

wow, i am definitely going to try your chorizos, those look great, as do your empanadas! thanks for being such a great mofo friend, i look forward to keeping up with your blog!

Allysia said...

You totally deserve a blog holiday, congrats on making it to the end of MoFo! I think I've mentioned this before but Viva Vegan is definitely one of my favorite cookbooks ever, though I've never made the empanadas, which is a shame because they look great! And I love the look of your gluten-free sausages, might have to give those a whirl sometime.

vegan.in.brighton said...

What an awesome end to MoFo! Your xgfx chorizo looks perfect and your sopes look great, those things are hard to shape and yours look like they're holding the filling perfectly. I'm a huge fan of garlicky spinach, there's a cafe around the corner from my house that does the garlickyest spinach ever with their breakfasts - it's so good! Your Empanades look good too, I'll have to try the mushroom ones soon. I'm a little jealous of your trick or treaters! We had one two years ago and I have my fingers crossed for some this year or I'll have to eat all of the candy I bought!

and_i_say said...

Yum! I made the seitan, raisin, and olive empanadas. I'll need to try the others, because yours are so appetizing.

eatingappalachia.com said...

Your gluten-free chorizo looks amazing! I haven't made many gf vegan meats, but that looks like the jam! And your sopas & empanadas...so beautiful and delish looking!

chow vegan said...

Awesome end to MoFo! Viva Vegan! is one of my favorite cookbooks, although I have yet to try those dishes. Your chorizo looks great, the store bought ones are usually so greasy and oily. I'll have to give the recipe a go. Thanks and Happy Halloween! :-)

Erin said...

Hehe, now I'm picturing you competing in a sope-shaping contest :) They look great, I'm so impressed by your soy and gluten free chorizos! And the corn empanadas look amazing, I'd like to eat about ten.

Tea and Sympatico said...

Happy Halloween. I love empanadas but I've not had any for years. Have enjoyed seeing all your Viva Vegan recipes. I really must get cooking form that book!

Joey said...

That's it - you've convinced me. There's a hole on my cookbook shelf and it's Viva Vegan shaped!

jenojoon.com said...

It is such a shame that I have had Viva Vegan since it came out and I have yet to make anything from it! sheesh. I want to make the pupusas first, but now I'm eyeing those sopas! So beautiful!

Andy Dufresne said...

Those sopes are beautiful! And I'm really impressed with the look of the chorizo. Yum!

inhergrace said...

The Empinadas are awesome! And yes the meaty stuff looks similar to seitan, not that I eat it anymore. Thanks for including the recipe! I know L is going to want to cook those for sure! :)

It's been awesome to do vegan mofo and I probably wouldn't have without your ongoing support. I'm so lucky you are so nearby. We will have to get together one of these years and have that tea. Perhaps in the new year when the craziness is over.

I think everyone who did VeganMOFO should all meet up in Hawaii for a well earned holiday! Some 5 star vegan hotel should have a water view and pamper us for a week! :)

Much love & blessings,
Savannah xox

Geanna said...

Thank you thank you thank you for the gf chorizo recipe! I cannot wait to make it - and I have everything on hand, so it should be very soon in coming. You have made my day.

Kenike said...

look delish! mmm.

Emmy said...

YUM!!! Everything you cook from Viva Vegan looks so good!

Dawn said...

That chorizo is SOOO on my list. Thanks so much for posting them :D

And empanadas, yummmmmm. I'll be trying those too.

You're remarkable, my friend.

Sal said...

I need to try making empanadas, especially those corn ones, I love corn!

Maggie Muggins said...

Thanks so much for posting the recipe Mandee. I really don’t like the taste of VWG and have been dying to find a chorizo recipe without it. I’m so happy I found your blog during mofo.
Your empanadas look delicious! I really shouldn't have come here right before lunch.

shimmyshimmycoconut said...

That all looks so good! I've always wanted to make empanadas and I think you've just convinced me to do so asap!

thefrenchfryconundrum said...

Oh wow! Those empanadas look fantastic! Ok, you have convinced me, Mandee that I need to start making some recipes from Viva Vegan. Everything you made durning MoFo looked so delicious!

veganforthewin said...

everything looks great! as usual. :)

so glad you got trick or treaters! none for us. :(

Sally Kitten said...

I love your photos! They are beautiful. :)

dreaminitvegan said...

You so rock with the Viva Vegan recipes. I so need to make all of these recipes.

Plaisir vegan said...

They look delicious !! Congratulations especially for your sopes that I find gorgeous !!!

susank said...

I keep coming back to re-read this post. What an amazing spread!

forkandbeans said...

Mandee, come on now with the delicious food. Holy (non-edible) cow! You have provided for me my meal plan for the entire week now and I cannot wait! Wishing you could see my journal (I write down ideas I get during the day). It says: "Things to make for dinner: Sopes." It's like you knew :)

hsw said...

The faux chorizo sounds amazing, do you think they'd work sans tomato paste?

beansfigsandkatz said...

so many yums! i linked to you here, as well:
http://fuckyeahvegantacos.tumblr.com/

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive