Wednesday, October 10, 2012

VeganMoFo2012 Day 10: Tarte Pâté Chinois



Last week I had two posts inspired by other VeganMoFo posts and today I have another. I made something this week that left me with lots of French lentils and brown rice. After receiving some good suggestions via twitter I remembered a recipe by Maggie over at The Cookbook Aficionado, Pâté Chinois. I was also having major cravings for savoury carbs yesterday so I turned it into a pie by adding pastry.

Tarte Pâté Chinois- gluten & soy free

I had all the ingredients for this apart from the potatoes which I picked up on the way home from work. And Mag's recipe doesn't include brown rice but I figured it would work out. I didn't have to make any changes although I did leave out the vegan Worcestershire sauce as well as the corn layer because I wanted this to be all savoury, no sweetness. I used a sheet of gluten free puff pastry on the bottom for extra carby-goodness.


This was delicious and such classic comfort food. The filling is full of flavour, I loved the herbs Maggie used in this and the onion and garlic, too. And it turns out I'm not the only to have turned this into a pie but I really liked the addition of the pastry.


I also love the mashed potato topping, I hardly ever make mashed potatoes and when I do I eat it plain, I don't usually add Nuttelex or salt so this tasted extra special, nice and creamy.

And the best part is I have lots of leftovers, I have a slice for lunch today and I'll be giving some to my parents because I'm sure they'll love it too.

If you're in need of some comfort food, you should definitely consider making this!


15 comments:

Caitlin said...

that looks DELICIOUS! i love all of the lentil goodness <3

VeggieAmanda said...

Gluten free puff pastry? I've never seen anything like that in the states! Thanks for sharing the link, I'm going to see if I can get it here!

Mel said...

Yum, that looks lovely! Thanks for the info about the GF puff pastry sheets, I think I have seen them in my local health food store. It's really good to know that these ones are GF and vegan for potlucks.

Amey said...

wow... that concoction looks crazy good. how awesome that you can find gluten free and vegan puff pastry sheets! I'm stoked for you!

Erinwiko said...

It's so pretty! I loved Maggie's original post too, and I love seeing people try out each other's recipes!

Unknown said...

Nice pie.

Dawn said...

Oh, Mands, that looks delicious. I love that you're gathering inspiration from other posters and making them gluten/soy free.

eatingappalachia.com said...

Oh my goodness, your tarte chinois is gorgeous! I love how easily it sliced. And pastry + mashed potatoes? Sounds like heaven.

Maggie Muggins said...

Yay! I can't believe I inspired someone! I love your puff pastry version, it looks like the perfect savory pie and I had no idea you could get gluten-free puff pastry, that's so cool!

Babette said...

Pâté chinois with a pastry! I never saw that before and I live in the country of pâté chinois =) I guess it's a good thing because we'd otherwise be fatter!

But I'm positive it must be out of this world! I mean, how can you beat pastry and mashed potatoes?

Did you eat it with ketchup?

Cadry said...

Wow, that looks incredible! I have been seriously eyeing Maggie's pâté chinois. That slice of pie looks like complete carb-y heaven!!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh wow, that looks great. I love that you added some pastry on the bottom for extra carby deliciousness!

anunrefinedvegan.com said...

Came out beautifully! If it has potatoes AND lentils, I'm pretty much digging it.

Allysia said...

What a good idea to turn it into a pie! That would definitely make serving it easier. This looks great, straight up comfort food!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

It's like an extra tasty cottage pie! Beautiful!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive