Friday, October 12, 2012

VeganMoFo2012 Day 12: Tacos from AFR and a Christmas meal



Last week I mentioned the organic veggie box we signed up for and the first box we received. Today I'm going to talk about the second box we received and some of the meals I made using the produce.


Box 22.12.11: Bananas, rockmelon, carrots, peaches, potatoes, onions, zucchini, capsicum, cherry toms, avos, lettuce, kale

This was a really great box, I LOVE the bananas we get in these boxes, they have so much flavour compared to the 'nanas sold in supermarkets and the cavolo nero kale was a real treat.

Black bean, zucchini, olive tacos

I wanted to put those zucchs to good use and decided to try out this recipe from Appetite for Reduction. It's already gluten and soy free but I didn't include olives because I really don't like them and I was lucky enough to have a jar of salsa verde ready to be used.


Oh my goodness, these are delicious! I loved the combination of salsa verde, cumin and coriander and I was also able to use up some of the cherry toms and lettuce from the veggie box. Instead of the yoghurt dressing I used some soy free mayo and it was such a good addition.


Mmmm! I've made these a few times since then, varying the ingredients to use up different produce and they are always good. Just looking at these photos makes me wish I was having these for dinner tonight.

This was also the veggie box during the Christmas week so I used up the kale, potatoes, carrots and onions in the meal I made for Christmas



This is a pie I've made a few times since last year during VeganMoFo when I participated in a cookbook challenge. The original recipe comes from 500 Vegan Recipes and I switch out the tempeh for mushies and this time I used kale in place of spinach. It's delicious!


And as a side I roasted up the aforementioned veggies as well as some fresh sage and majoram 


This was a great meal, full of flavour and veggie goodness! And posting about it now has got me thinking about what I'll be making this year, I'd like to try something new.




13 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Your veg box looks fab & I'd eat the hell outa that mushroom pie.

Caitlin said...

that pie looks delicious! and the tacos from afr are soooo good. i love 'em so much, i need to make them again soon.

GiGi said...

What no olive love? Well I sure am glad you love kale, because that looks ridiculously good.
What's rock melon? I always learn new things when I come to your blog ;)

Mel said...

Oh, I must have skipped over that taco recipe as zucchini isn't my favourite veg and we are also pretty set in our taco ways. Your tacos do look great though, maybe I'll try it out someday. I'm sure I would prefer that pie your way with mushies instead of tempeh, it looks scrumptious!

VeggieAmanda said...

I'd love a slice of that kale rustic pie. Yum!

foodfeud said...

Yes! I've always wanted to try those olive tacos. They look delicious. Fantastic looking kale tart too.

Joey said...

Your veggie boxes are really something - they look like little works of art when you unpack them!

I really like the look of that pie - what else goes in apart from the mushies and kale?

Emmy said...

We love the black bean, zucchini, olive tacos too! I always make a tomato salsa for them as I never have salsa verde on hand and tomatillos aren't that easy to find here! They still taste great though!

Sal said...

mmmm mushroom pie, yum!

I haven't made those tacos yet. I think it's cuz i'm not much of an olive fan either. I'll eat them but I don't love them, so I've been avoiding it. Maybe I'll give it a go and just put the olives on the side!

Maggie Muggins said...

I have no idea what a rock melon is but that looks like one sweet haul of fruits and veggies. I've wanted to try those tacos since I got the book, now I want to try them even more!

Kittee Bee Berns said...

Kale for Xmas! I love it.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Olive-haters of the world unite! I would have left them out too. The tacos do look so fresh and yummy!

The rustic pie looks so good and pretty! Yep, I'll choose mushrooms over tempeh any day!

adriennefriend said...

Everything looks so fab. Can I just say that I adore that you call it "rockmelon"? It's cantaloupe for me. :)

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive