Sunday, October 14, 2012

VeganMoFo2012 Day 14: Peanut Raspberry Ice Cream



Week two of VeganMoFo is over! I don't know about you guys but I am feeling a bit blogged-out! I am really enjoying it at the same time but the fact that I don't have as much time for reading (my goal is 200 books this year) is a bit sad. So I have a short & sweet post today :)

Raspberry Ice Cream

Over winter we started using our ice cream maker again, it seems like an odd time to want ice cream but I had some frozen raspberries sitting in the freezer and wanted to use them up.

Lately we have found a really simple way of making vegan, gluten free and soy free ice cream: 1 carton sweetened (or sugar-free) Mimic Creme + mix-ins. For the raspberry ice cream I made raspberry compote and added it to the ice cream maker about 5 minutes before it was done along with some vanilla.


This was a really lovely combo and it turned out so pretty as well.I find that when I was using coconut milk, the ice cream would be fine that day but a day later it turned icey. So far I haven't had this result using the mimic creme which means we can enjoy the ice cream days later.

Peanut Raspberry Ice Cream

A couple of weeks later we bought a huge bottle of frozen raspberry coulis that needed to be used within a month of defrosting. Chris suggested using it in another batch of ice cream and came up with the idea to add chopped peanuts. Again I added the raspberry in the last 5 minutes as well as the peanuts.


This was soooo good, I loved the addition of the peanuts and the coulis was a lot smoother than the compote. I've made this ice cream a few times since then and then ran out of coulis but I have plans to make some coulis so I can keep our freezer stocked with this ice cream all summer long!

I also want to make a variety of flavours so if you have a fave, let me know in the comments!


22 comments:

TRISTA said...

Yes, VeganMOFO is awesome, but grueling, too. I'm glad you're doing it, though, because I haven't come across your blog before, and you have some great photos (especially the produce one). I also love the robot-cookie in your profile pic. Two hundred books in a year? Any other criteria? Are they books like Jane Eyre and Mrs. Dalloway, or can you read Agatha Christie novels and young adult books like Wildwood???

adriennefriend said...

Wow, thanks so much for the easy tip about mimicreme. I have a TON of it right now that I don't really know what to do with, and it's the hazelnut biscotti flavor. Ice cream, then???

adrienne at http://cracktheplates.com

VeggieAmanda said...

Wow! Your ice creams look and sound great! I don't have an ice cream maker, but now I'm thinking of getting one!

omgoshimvegan said...

Love the mimicreme tip! This ice cream looks fantastic. I want to rush home and make some.

Erinwiko said...

I've been ice cream obsessed lately too! Peanut and raspberry sounds awesome.

And I was just thinking the other day that I miss having time to read books. I think when MoFo ends I'll take a whole day away from my computer just to read.

Sarah said...

that's genius!

foodfeud said...

So, so pretty! At first I thought the flavor sounded a little weird, but I guess it's just like PB& jelly sandwiches! But more delicious, because it's ice cream.

coldandsleepy said...

Oh man, I will try the mimicreme thing too. I am always way too lazy to fuss around making an ice cream base.

I don't think I do anything less to get MoFo done, except maybe homework... And I can always use the break.

Sal said...

yum your icecream looks fab. I like the idea of adding peanuts too.

Fanny said...

This sounds so yummy! Perfect combination.

Theresa said...

It is definitely turning into ice cream season here, so I will be filing this idea away for our next batch. It sounds delicious, and looks so pretty!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Wow, both ice cream's look amazing. I really really need to get an ice cream machine.

Caitlin said...

that sounds awesome! i would never think to put raspberry and peanuts together!

Erin said...

Your ice creams look beautiful! Love the swirls of raspberry.

Andrea said...

I've never had mimic creme but it looks like it worked really well for you. Great flavor combinations!

Emmy said...

That Raspberry Ice Cream looks so pretty!

Cadry's Kitchen said...

What gorgeous ice cream! It sounds wonderful!

Joey said...

I know what you mean - I'm really, really enjoying Mofo, but I just wish I had a bit more time in the day to read all the awesome blogs I've been enjoying and do all the normal stuff too.

You know what I also wish I had a bit more of? That ice cream....

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Mimic Creme makes the BEST ice cream! Both batches look so good! I particularly like how marbled the Peanut Raspberry batch looks. MoFo is fun, but it also is so very time consuming!

Maggie Muggins said...

That looks so creamy! I love peanut butter sandwiches with raspberry jam, so I'm all over that combo.

Allysia said...

200 books in a year? That's awesomely badass! I've been meaning to implement a reading goal too, but mine would be more like 100, maximum. That's still 2 books a week! That ice cream is beautiful. Mint chocolate is always a favorite of mine! :)

Dawn said...

You're doing great!! I'm blogged out too. Between my being sick (I've been running a low grade fever for the past 11 days - thankfully not all day yesterday/today) and my dad being in the hospital. I don't know if I'm going to make it. The plan is definitely going to have to change some.

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive