Wednesday, October 17, 2012

VeganMoFo2012 Day 17: Leek, Mushroom, Kale Pie



I am so inspired by the posts every one is sharing this month and I'm really happy that for once I am actually making recipes that I bookmark, rather than forgetting about them. Today I'm talking about a pie that I saw over at River's wonderful blog, Wing-It Vegan.

River found a recipe for Leek and Mushroom pie here and as soon as I saw her photos of it, I knew I had to make it. I happened to have a week-old leek in the fridge and I got another in last week's veggie box and I decided that was a sign that it was pie-time!

I took this photo with the wrong setting so it looks a bit pale compare to the photos below

Leek, Mushroom & Kale Pie - gluten and soy free
Oringal recipe here - I've included my adapted version below

2 sheets of gf puff pastry, defrosted
1 T olive oil
2 leeks, chopped and rinsed
300g button mushies, rinsed and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
A bunch of kale, rinsed, spines removed, chopped
salt, to taste

3 T vegan margarine
2 T brown rice flour
1 T corn starch
1/2 a carton of Unsweetened Mimic Creme
2 t vegetable stock powder
1 t dried thyme
salt, to taste

Oil spray
Rice milk

Preheat the oven to 180C. Add the oil to a frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes. Add the garlic & salt then cook for another 2 minutes. Add the kale and allow to wilt.

In a small sauce pan melt the margarine then whisk in the flour & starch, stirring for a couple of minutes. Pour in the creme and add the stock powder, thyme and salt. Continue to stir until thickened. Pour into the veggie mix and stir to combine.

Spray a pie dish with oil, line the base with one sheet of pastry and trim to fit. Add the filling then top with the other pie sheet, crimping the edges together. Prick the top with a fork a couple of times, brush with rice milk then put the pie in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.


Holy macaroni with pepper jack! This was so tasty. The filling was creamy, full of flavour and I was impressed with how well the pastry on the base cooked as I was worried it wouldn't.


I gave a couple of slices to my parents and they loved it. In fact they asked for more the next day! I'm a bit sad that the weather is heating up again because it's almost too hot for the oven... almost!



16 comments:

Joey said...

There are few things in life as wonderful as a warm pie!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh wow, that looks super amazing. I love pie!

VeggieAmanda said...

This looks so delicious! If only the US had a GF puff pastry!!!

jd said...

Oh wow, that looks so good! I actually have a random leek sitting in my fridge that I just got annoyed with (I wasn't sure what to do with it). Guess I have a solution now ;)

And I agree, MoFo is definitely causing me to bookmark tons of stuff that I *know* I'll make later. Awesome.

Mel said...

This looks so lovely, I always love a good pie! I'm fairly new to kale and am on the hunt for kale recipes so thanks for highlighting this (must have missed the original post in the mofo madness). I also think that leeks and kale are a wonderful combination, I made a side dish with them recently and really loved it.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Ooh you made it with Mimic Creme! That is one tasty pie, isn't it? I love that you added kale! I might have to do the same next time.

It's so nice to make recipes from all the awesome blogs out there. My "recipes" bookmarks folder is so full it's ridiculous! One recipe at a time! Thanks for the shoutout! :)

Maggie Muggins said...

I've had my eye on that one too, yours looks delicious!

Michelle said...

Holy crap, that looks so good!

omgoshimvegan said...

Wow this looks great. I've been so happy with Mimic Creme I bet this is really good.

Caitlin said...

i saw her post and was yearning for it as well. your version looks so tasty and once again, BRAVO on easily making it gf/soy-free.

Emmy said...

That looks delicious.... know what I wish I had for lunch today!

Allysia said...

I tend to think there are few things in life better than savory pie. Damn that looks good! And so simple, which is something else I'm quite fond of in life. :)

Dawn said...

Holy macaroni with pepper jack! - That is my new exclamation. You're too cute.
And wow, that pie. I haven't been able to find xgfx puff pastry, do you think a homemade pie crust would work?

veganforthewin said...

This sounds SO GOOD!

eatingappalachia.com said...

Oh wow, totally a sign I need to make that pie once the weather cools down. Definitely bookmarked it over at River's and now you've got me craving leeky goodness!

veganconvert said...

Yay, very happy I inspired this amazing looking pie! Kale is such a good addition, I might have to try this on wintery night, they are perfect for pie. Thanks for linking X

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive