Saturday, October 6, 2012

VeganMoFo2012 Day 6: Mung Bean Pizza Crust and Beetroot Pesto



I'm pretty sure a theme for VeganMoFo could be making a new recipe each day based on VeganMoFo posts! I've already bookmarked a bunch of recipes and I want to make them all at once. Yesterday I settled on Richa's mung bean pizza crust - you can check out her post here, she's doing a month of pizzas!

Last week we got a tub of mung beans in the veg box and I was a bit bored of eating them on their own so when I saw Richa's recipe I knew I had to try this pizza crust recipe! I wanted to keep it plain so that Chris could try it so I didn't add the chilli or herbs/spices. I used the chickpea flour option and doubled the recipe so I could make two pizzas. I used kale leaves for the greens, water instead of coconut milk and some olive oil, too. This was really easy to make and I spread it on some baking paper on our pizza stone.

Let's talk toppings! Yesterday I mentioned the weekly veggie box we get and I wanted to use up some of the veggies on the pizza. Beetroot didn't seem like a very pizza-friendly veggie but then I saw a couple of recipes for beetroot pesto and immediately knew I had to try it out.

Beetroot Pesto - I didn't measure so just go by feel

5 smallish beetroots, tops and pointy bits chopped off
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 handfuls of pine nuts
a big glug of olive oil
a squeeze of lemon
a big pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 180C. Wrap the beets up in some foil and place on a baking tray and into the oven once warm. Bake for about 35 minutes and add the garlic in about halfway through. Set aside to cool and throw the pine nuts into a frying pan and toast for a few minutes. Peel off the skins of the beets and chop into quarters. Add to a food processor along with the other ingredients and blitz, it should be a thick pesto-like paste.

This was so delicious, the earth beet taste was really subtle and the pine nuts added a cheesy sort of flavour. This is now my new favourite way to prepare beetroots.

Beetroot Pesto Pizza



I spread some of the beetroot pesto onto the first pizza crust and topped it with zucchini slices, capsicum and cashew cheese.


This was really good, the crust reminded me of a chickpea pancake and was soft, a bit chewy and crispy on the edges and all the toppings went well with the beetroot pesto.


Cashew Cheese Sweet Potato Pizza


For the second pizza I spread cashew cheese on the crust and topped it with roasted sweet potato, zucchini, capsicum and onion. Also, before going into the oven I lightly sprayed each pizza with olive oil.


I loved the cashew cheese on this pizza and it made a great base for the rest of the ingredients it was also nice to have pizza without a tomato base since that's what I usually do.


I love trying out new pizza crusts and this one is a definite keeper, it'll give me a reason to by mung bean sprouts more often and it was really light and not stodgy like some wheat, or gluten free, crusts. Want to give it a try? Go and check out Richa's recipe!

Have you been inspired by some VeganMoFo posts this year?




18 comments:

Tea and Sympatico said...

The Iron chef ingredient this weekend is Beetroot! You should def link to this post.

Mel said...

I'm always looking for new things to do with beetroot, the pesto recipe sounds fantastic and I love the sound of it on pizza. I'll definitely try this. Both of your pizzas look really pretty!

Belinda (miscdebris) said...

Oh so colourful! We always have beetroots but they usually get juiced. Your pesto looks delicious, I'll have to make it.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Oooh the Beetroot Pesto Pizza looks so good! I wonder how it would be like with the seasonings that Ricki uses for her Beetaroni? I think next week I need to do a mash-up recipe post with Beetaroni Pesto Pizza! :D

PS: Curly sends you an awkward duck hug!

Andrea said...

You and richa are changing the definition of pizza. Your pies look so intriguing. It makes want to head to the kitchen and start making pizza!

Nikki said...

I love the color of the beetroot pesto. It's such a beautiful contrast to the crust and toppings. What a great idea.

VeggieAmanda said...

Both pizzas look creative, beautiful, and delish! So creative with the beetroot! :-)

Kittee Bee Berns said...

I love everything about this post. Bookmarking!!
xo
kittee

Theresa said...

These look delicious! I've never really thought about putting mung beans into a pizza crust, but those really look good.

Kate said...

Beetroot pesto on pizza...think I'm in love there!

Dawn said...

You may have found a way that I will actually eat beets! Though I have to say you won my heart with the cashew cheese-sweet potato one <3

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks like an awesome pizza idea, I especially like the look of the second one.

Richa said...

i love the beet pesto and the cashew cheese and sweet potato toppings! you have taken the crust and the pizzas to a whole new level! Thanks for trying out the crust and liking it Mandee! xoxo

Caitlin said...

i love that you tried one of richa's crusts! it looks delicious and i love the toppings you used. i'm going to make the one she posted on friday! can't wait!!

Cadry's Kitchen said...

Oh, my goodness! What gorgeous and unusual pizzas! Richa is doing an amazing job. She's a rockstar! I agree that there's a ridiculous amount of mouthwatering recipes getting posted for MoFo. Let's just say I'm doing a lot of pinning! :D

Kristy Kambanis said...

Ooooh, beetroot pesto. That is some kind of genius. The pizzas look delicious - I will have to try that soon!

Vegangela said...

Beetroot pesto. I will definitely be making that :)

Allysia said...

Making pesto out of beets is such a fantastic idea! The crust also sounds really awesome, and I'm the same way with tomato-based pizza sauce - it's delicious, but it's easy to fall into a rut with it!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive