Monday, October 8, 2012

VeganMoFo2012 Day 8: Cremé de Marrons Cupcakes and Truffles



And we're into week two of VeganMoFo for 2012! I have another post today inspired by another VeganMoFo post: last week Joey blogged about cremé de marrons and the cupcakes she made and I knew I needed to make some too!

Creme de marrons is chestnut puree and in this case I've used the sweetened variety. It's absolutely delicious and it's something I associate with Christmas because for as long as I can remember we have enjoyed Christmas pudding with chestnut cream every year so this felt like an extra special treat.


When I bake cupcakes I use the gluten free recipes from VCTOTW because they are awesome but I have found that they don't quite make 12 cupcakes if I use the larger style baking papers as opposed to the ones from the supermarket. The supermarket ones are more shallow and I can usually get 12-15 of those but they don't look as good as the slightly larger ones I buy from homewares stores.


I have been playing with the recipe to try and increase it slightly so that I can get 12 full sized cupcakes

Vanilla cupcakes with a chestnut centre and chestnut cream - makes 12

3/4 C brown rice flour
1/2 C quinoa flour
1/3 C coconut flour
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 C rice milk
1/3 C canola oil
1/2 C sugar
1 T vanilla
1 T flax meal
1/4 C tapioca starch
1 500g tin of sweetened chestnut puree
1 carton of Healthy Top (chilled in the fridge for a few hours)

Preheat the oven to 180C. Combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl combine the wet with a whisk, adding the tapioca and flax in last. Add the dry into the wet and stir until combined. Scoop 2 tablespoons of mixture into each baking cup. Add a heaped teaspoon of chestnut puree to each cupcake. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from the baking pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack.

Coconut flour tends to absorb a lot of liquid so I would probably switch out the coconut flour next time or use a little less.


To make the cream, pour the Healthy Top into a mixer bowl and set to high for a bout 5 minutes. Once whipped, spoon in the remaining chestnut puree and stir to combine. Spoon into a piping bag and top each cupcake with a swirl of cream.


I really enjoyed these, the chestnut flavour is lovely and the cupcakes were dense and soft. Next time I'd probably add in the chestnut puree halfway between filling each cupcake paper so that it sits in the middle and not just at the top. The cream on top is just like I remember it tasting.


Cocoa chestnut truffles

I bought home two tins of puree and forgot to take a photo before I used up the first tin so I had to open the second tin and then I decided to find another use for it. I found this recipe for truffles and made some leaving out the icing sugar.


Mine didn't firm up much, possibly because I didn't add the icing sugar, but they really didn't need the added sugar. They were delicious with the addition of cocoa powder, it's a great combination.



So now I am left with with some puree, I'm thinking cookies or mousse later in the week!

22 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

I've been eyeing that chestnut puree for a while, I think I'll have to pick some up after seeing this!

Emmy said...

Chestnuts are extremely popular here! The Swiss love them as a cream (pressed out like noodles) on meringue and tarts. They love it in cakes too.

Amey said...

this is awesome. I have two cans/tins of whole chestnuts that I am hoping to use up this MoFo. No plans yet... but they're on my mind! Those truffles sound totally awesome!

Erinwiko said...

I love the look of both of these! I think I'm going to try making the cupcakes for my family at Christmas. We always have a few German treats to make everyone feel a bit more at home (despite the heat!), and chestnuts are one of the best parts of German Christmas markets, so I bet these will go down well!

Cadry said...

I had no idea that chestnut puree existed! I'll have to keep a look out for that. I love chestnuts, and they're one of my favorite holiday foods. I'd never tried them until my husband and I went on our honeymoon six years ago. In Switzerland there were people on the streets roasting chestnuts and selling them in little paper sacks. It's such a lovely memory now. I'd be happy to have more ways to include the flavor of chestnuts in my life!

urban vegan said...

This looks crazy good! I resist buying jars of this creme, though, bc I know I would never be able to use it all up.

Caitlin said...

your cocoa chestnut truffles look RIDICULOUSLY amazing!! i've never heard of creme de marrons, but i will definitely be looking into it ;)

Nikki said...

I've never seen chestnut creme but it looks amazing and delicious and like something that I will hopefully try someday. Very yummy looking cupcakes!

VeggieAmanda said...

Chestnut creme sounds just wonderful! I've never had chestnuts in any other form than whole. Mmm!

Kittee Bee Berns said...

so pretty! i know nothing of cooking with chestunuts beyond thanksgiving stuffing, so this post is super interesting to me.

they look very yummy!
xo
kittee

Joey said...

I've still got some chestnut puree left after my own creme de marron experiments - am so going to make those truffles! Excellent idea!

Lisa Marie @ MidwestVeg said...

I've never heard of chestnut puree. Very interesting! The cupcakes and truffles look SO good! I might have to give it a try. Also, the mousse sounds like a great idea. :)

Mel said...

They both look so gorgeous! I've never cooked with chestnuts or chestnut puree before.

GiGi said...

I too love chestnut puree, but alas have never baked with it. These are uber pretty. When I sue one of those terrific recipes from the aforementioned cc book, it never fills the jumbo cc liners.

omgoshimvegan said...

Never heard of chestnut puree. Learn something new every day. These look good and the truffles AMAZING!

eatingappalachia.com said...

Chestnut is so tasty in baked goods--I always forget to buy the paste! But I'm jonesing for one of those truffles so I better find some soon!

Tea and Sympatico said...

Those truffles look excellent. such a good combination creme de marron and chocolate.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I did not know such thing existed! Next time we take a little trip to World Market I will look around the French foods isle to see if they have it. The cupcakes are so cute! May I have one with a truffle on top? :D

Vanessa said...

These look fantastic! I want to try both the cupcakes as well as the truffles. I've seen tins of the chestnut puree at the store, this is going to happen =D

Eve Love said...

I love chestnut cream! It makes me go all crazy just thinking of it.

Maggie Muggins said...

Beautiful! I've been looking for a good gluten-free cupcake recipe, I'm totally going to try your flour mix. I've never come across sweetened chustnut puree but I've bought the regular stuff before, I love the idea of using it in cupcakes!

Laura said...

Where do you find the chestnut puree? I don't even know what a chestnut tastes like, but it sure looks good.

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive