Tuesday, October 9, 2012

VeganMoFo2012 Day 9: Cauliflower and Corn Pakoras



Last week I mentioned a tv show we enjoyed watching and cooking from and today I want to talk about another, River Cottage Veg. 

I'd never watched the show before the veg series and I was a little hesitant to watch it but for the most part I enjoyed it. Hugh did seem to really enjoy going veg and as someone who grows his own produce he already had a good appreciation for vegetarian meals, even if he did rely on dairy and eggs a little too much.

But there were some great recipes like pakoras and I knew I wanted to try them out

Cauliflower and Corn Pakoras - gluten and soy free

I didn't have to make any changes to this recipe, the batter is made with chickpea flour and was really easy to throw together. We have a mini deep fryer so it made things even easier


Rather than making just one type, I split the cauli and corn and made them separately because I was sure Chris wouldn't like the cauliflower but it turns out neither of us really liked the corn ones, I found them too sweet, but the cauli ones were delicious! Instead of serving them with raita I added some chopped coriander leaves to some vegan & soy free mayo.

This is something I've made a few times since then and it always makes for a nice dinner paired with a green salad.

It's been a while since I've watched cooking shows for inspiration but I always find it a lot of fun to try new recipes.



17 comments:

Joey said...

Yum, yum, yum. It's just the right thing to serve any cauliflower skeptics out there - I think it's impossible not to love pakoras...

panda with cookie said...

Wee mini deep fryer! Those look good.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Those look great, I love my mini deep fat fryer for things like this!

Erinwiko said...

Yum, I love pakoras and cauliflower sounds great. I've had my eye on a mini deep fryer too, but I worry that it would just enable bad habits!

urban vegan said...

You can never have too many pakora fillings. Great idea!

Andrea said...

I have a weakness for tasty fried things, though I never make them myself. The pakoras look so crunchy and good.

eatingappalachia.com said...

Pakoras are just the best--I bet Hugh's are delicious! I have another one of the River Cottage books (not veg at all) and I've always meant to pick up the Veg one--need to get on it if just to try those awesome cauliflower pakoras!

Caitlin said...

those look amazing! i probably wouldn't have liked the corn ones either. i don't like sweet foods, especially when they are disguising savory food.

Mel said...

Yum, your pakoras look so good. I made some fried cauliflower ones earlier this year which we loved, then I tried the batter with broccoli and sweet potato and the cauli ones were the best by far. I've been very tempted to buy a mini deep fryer to make cooking things like this easier.

Kittee Bee Berns said...

I love pakoras! Especially with cilantro chutney! Keep trying until you find ones you adore!

xo
kittee

Emmy said...

I enjoyed this series too. I also picked out these as something to try! Now that I've seen yours I might have to get out my deep fryer!

Sal said...

I didn't watch that series because I find Hugh FW gross, ever since I saw him eat some woman's placenta on his show. ERGH.

However, these look great. haha

Cadry said...

How delightful! I love pakoras, but i haven't made my own in the longest time. I generally just get them when I eat at our local Indian restaurant. The cauliflower ones are usually my favorite too!

Maggie Muggins said...

Yum, they look delicious. I love getting inspiration from cooking shows!

VeggieAmanda said...

I just love pakoras!!! These look so good!

veganforthewin said...

parkoras!! yum!! they are so yummy!

Richa said...

you had me at pakoras!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive