Sunday, September 22, 2013

VeganMoFo2013 Day 22: Sweet Potato Chocolate Muffins


My theme for VeganMoFo this year is: MoFo Mimic! Each year I bookmark a bunch of posts intending to try out the amazing recipes fellow vegan food bloggers come up with and I don't often get around to trying them. So, this year I have made a list and I will be highlighting some of my favourite vegan food bloggers!

Back in the first week of VeganMoFo2013 (it seems so long ago!) I mentioned Megan's blog, The Vegan Cookbook Aficionado, and today I have another of her recipes to share!

I rarely use veggies in baking but these muffins, that Megan made in 2011, looked so good that I wanted to try them out. 

To make these gluten free I used 1 cup of brown rice flour, 3/4 cup of quinoa flour, and 1/4 cup of arrowroot. To make them soy free I used rice milk. We don't have canned sweet potato puree here so I steamed a sweet potato and blended it up. 


The chocolate was a nice balance to the sweet potato. The spices were also a really nice touch! For any readers in the northern hem, these are the perfect autumn muffin!


They're pretty on the inside, too!


Also, I'm feeling much better today! Iodine works wonders on a sore throat and I kept my spirits up by marathoning Cougar Town!

10 comments:

Cadry said...

What pretty muffins! I love the swirls of complimentary colors. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better today.

Dawn said...

Oh yum! I don't think I've ever combined sweet potato and chocolate and sitting here wondering why not. So glad you're feeling better. Keep taking care of yourself!

foodfeud said...

They do look so great! marbled stuff always looks classy.

Rachel Hallows said...

Wow, those are gorgeous - autumn in a muffin! I might have to try these. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not keen on tinned sweet potato because it tends to be kinda stringy.

Cindy said...

They're pretty! And pretty damn tasty too, I'd wager.

VeggieAmanda said...

These look amazing! And perfect for fall- I know you aren't going into fall, but we are! :-)

Susan said...

What gorgeous muffins.

East Meets West Veg said...

Beautiful muffins! What an interesting combination! Glad you are feeling better!!

River said...

Gorgeous! I love two-tone baked goods. The tops look so crusty and inviting, especially the sweet potato bits. Megan has awesome recipes!

I'm glad your throat is feeling better! <3

Maggie Muggins said...

Ack! I'm so behind on reading your posts! Silly mofo, always getting in the way of things. Man, you make removing gluten look so easy, I'm going to have to try your version soon!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive