Tuesday, September 24, 2013

VeganMoFo2013 Day 24: Gluten Free Sweet Potato Gnocchi


My theme for VeganMoFo this year is: MoFo Mimic! Each year I bookmark a bunch of posts intending to try out the amazing recipes fellow vegan food bloggers come up with and I don't often get around to trying them. So, this year I have made a list and I will be highlighting some of my favourite vegan food bloggers!

A couple of weeks ago I made chai spiced snickerdoodles inspired by Michelle from My Zoetrope and today I've made another meal inspired by her blog.

Last year Michelle made the sweet potato gnocchi from Chloe's Kitchen which is a cookbook I love. Two days ago I made sweet potato chocolate muffins and I had a spare sweet potato left over from that so I decided to make up my own recipe.


Gluten Free Sweet Potato Gnocchi
1 sweet potato (350g)
50g brown rice flour
50g chickpea flour
1 egg replacer 
salt

I peeled and chopped the sweet potato into small cubes and steamed for 20 minutes. Once cooked I mashed it and set it aside to cool. I filled a medium-sized saucepan with water and placed it on the stove, over high heat. Into a bowl I added the flours and a pinch of salt. I mixed up 1 teaspoon of Orgran Egg Replacer with 2 tablespoons of water. I added that and the sweet potato mash to the flour and mixed well.

Once the water was boiling I took small amounts of the mixture, rolled them into balls and then over the tines of a fork. Once I had 8-10, I threw them all in and waited until they floated to the top (1 minute or so) and then removed them with a slotted spoon. I put them on a baking tray lined with baking paper while I made the rest.
Here they are after being boiled

Last time I made gnocchi (way back in 2009) I pan fried them because I didn't know if gluten free gnocchi would hold up in water, but these did! I tried one first and when that one held together, I continued with the rest. I liked the texture and flavour that came with pan frying, so once I was ready to serve, I threw a portion into a hot pan with some olive oil and cooked them until golden, flipping once.

Basil dressing - make to your liking
1 bunch of basil
olive oil
lemon zest & juice
salt

Pick off basil leaves, wash then drain them. Add leaves to a small food processor with olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Blitz until you have your desired consistency, add more liquid if needed.


I drizzled the dressing over the top and it went so well with the gnocchi. The gnocchi were soft and warm, the basil dressing was, well, basil-y.


I'm not going to leave it this long between gnocchi-making again, these are definitely going on regular rotation from now on!

18 comments:

Dawn said...

I haven't made gnocchi yet, and a sweet potato variety may be just the thing that makes me change that! So pretty.

Sal said...

Looks awesome. I have that book and still haven't made anything from it!

I tried to make sweet potato gnocchi once (not this recipe) and used wholewheat flour in a bid to be healthier. It was a huge fail, they were gross.

veganbeckles said...

Oh they look amazing! I've only had gnocchi in a vegan cafe as I've never known how to make them without gluten and eggs before. I'm definitely trying this!

Mel said...

It's fantastic that your gluten free version worked so well. Your gnocchi look so pretty with the basil dressing. I've made potato gnocchi heaps of times but have always wanted to try a sweet potato or beetroot variety.

VeggieAmanda said...

These look just wonderful! I made a sweet potato gnocchi recently and it was a bit too oily. I am going to try your recipe instead. The basil sauce sounds awesome. We have so much basil growing and I need to harvest it before it is too late!

Michelle said...

I was just thinking about these and feeling the itch for gnocchi. Yours looks so good!

angieeatspeace said...

This sounds amazing! I always wondered how to make gnocchi from scratch.

luminousvegans said...

I've never ever even thought about making my own gnocchi before but this looks so simple. The combination of basil and sweet potato sound divine! It's so pretty!

East Meets West Veg said...

Wow, those look delicious!!

East Meets West Veg said...

Wow, those look delicious!!

Angela @ Veangela.com said...

Oh man, I really hate that I missed Vegan MoFo this year, but I can't wait to catch up on it all over the coming weeks!

I absolutely LOVE gnocchi and I love that yours are gluten free. I've pinned this to try ASAP. Thanks!!

Randi (laughfrodisiac) said...

Wow that looks amazing! I love sweet potato gnocchi but I've never made it myself. I'll have to try this recipe. And the sauce! Yum!

Joey said...

These look great! I've always had a yearning to make squash gnocchi - do you reckon the recipe would work if I just swapped a goodly chunk of squash for the sweet potato?

River said...

I love this colorful dish, Mandee! I've had my fair share of regular potato gnocchi, but never sweet potato gnocchi.

Richa said...

those gnocchi look like puffy carrots:) so pretty

veganopoulous said...

I made this the other day, it's a great recipe and not heavy in the stomach like regular gnocchi can be :)

Emmy said...

They look great!

Babette said...

Those gnocchi are beautiful! I've never made my own, but I definitely want to try one day.

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive