Wednesday, September 4, 2013

VeganMoFo2013 Day 4: Cauliflower Potato Burritos




My theme for VeganMoFo this year is: MoFo Mimic! Each year I bookmark a bunch of posts intending to try out the amazing recipes fellow vegan food bloggers come up with and I don't often get around to trying them. So, this year I have made a list and I will be highlighting some of my favourite vegan food bloggers!

Today I'm featuring Megan from The Vegan Cookbook Aficionado! Megan has amazing recipes on her website, and gorgeous photos, too! Last year I really loved her vegan versions of Canadian recipes. but today I'm going with something she cooked up in 2011: breakfast burritos! They're not really a thing here, so mine are technically lunch burritos, but they're delicious either way!

I only made a few changes to this recipes, I used white potatoes as we don't get Yukon Golds, I left out the breakfast patties, and added in some lentils leftover from the masa masala burgers earlier in the week. I used corn tortillas and the homemade coconut cheese I mentioned yesterday.

I was a little dubious about throwing the potatoes in raw and only giving them 15 minutes cooking time and in the end it took about 45 minutes until the potato cubes were tender. When I make this again (because I definitely will be!) I'll roast the potato cubes while the cauliflower sauce is on the stove.



I heated the corn tortillas in our sandwich press and then added the filling, plus some cheese, folded the sides down and gave them them another minute in the press.


They were deliciously spicy, full of flavour, and so filling! The coconut cheese helped to tone done the chilli and added a lovely creamy texture and a mild coconutty taste.


This made enough for my lunches this week. I'll be sorry once I've eaten the rest tomorrow!


21 comments:

Joey said...

That does look delicious - I'm pretty sure those two veggies are meant to go together. I always think of them as curry partners though - clearly I need some burrito in my life!

Mel said...

They look lovely - I love cauliflower in just about anything. I wish breakfast burritos were more of a thing in Aus, they make them at Trippy Taco but it's too far from my house :(

Lydia Paterson said...

Great photos! Wow, I like your YA book blog too.

VeggieAmanda said...

I hadn't heard of this cookbook before. These look delicious! I love cauliflower!

Dawn said...

Potatoes with cauliflower sauce? Brilliant for a breakfast burrito! They're one of the things I miss most without eating eggs/not being able to eat tofu. They look delicious. Glad you've been enjoying them.

Babette said...

That coconut cheese looks fabulous in there.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh man, all of this blogging about taco's and burritos is killing me today! I go away next friday so I'm trying not to buy any more food but I really, really want taco's!

Rachel Hallows said...

These look delicious! I wish I had some right now.

Tea and Sympatico said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tea and Sympatico said...

This has got me craving cauliflower now! I've taken your lead and just started a bookmark folder for Mofo recipes to try out.

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea for a theme! I always pin loads of recipes intending to make them but rarely end up getting around to it!

Amber Gilewski said...

How creative! I've made potato-style burritos before but never thought to add cauliflower. Love it!

vegpedlr.net said...

Here in California, breakfast burritos are a religion, along with avocado. Traditional hangover food! That coconut cheese is interesting, too rich for daily use, but maybe for an indulgence. Cool theme, have lotsa fun!

comesconewithme.com said...

1) These look legit!!

2) I love your theme (sorry, I'm behind the times)

<3

GiGi said...

ooh, that sandwich press sounds like a nifty addition to any kitchen. and yep I like your idea about roasting the potatoes for this perfect breakfast nosh!

Maggie Muggins said...

Yay Kitteh! I love your theme, and not just because you made one of my recipes, lol. Glad they turned out tasty with your changes, I should really try them with lentils the next time I make them. I'm pretty that 10 minutes is a typo, unless I cut up my potatoes uber small or something.

River said...

Ooh yummy yummy so yummy! Yes to Megan's recipes! We both blogged about something with cauliflower on the same day! Jinx, buy me a coke! :D

Mihl said...

I love Megan's blog and her recipes. These sound wonderful and I love potatoes and cauliflower together. I am bookmarking this.

veganmiam.com said...

Yummy burritos! I want some!

YA Anonymous said...

This looks soooooo delicious. I love potatoes but they are the biggest pain in the ass to cook. I tried to cook them in a pan and by the time they were cooked through, they were also burned on the outside. Boo. That cauliflower cheese is making my mouth water!

plasterer bristol said...

These look so good...

Simon

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive