Saturday, September 7, 2013

VeganMoFo2013 Day 7: Cauliflower Pesto Soup



My theme for VeganMoFo this year is: MoFo Mimic! Each year I bookmark a bunch of posts intending to try out the amazing recipes fellow vegan food bloggers come up with and I don't often get around to trying them. So, this year I have made a list and I will be highlighting some of my favourite vegan food bloggers!

One of my fave gluten free & vegan bloggers is Geanna from Green Vegan Living, and I got to meet her this year! Her gf and vegan bakery, Cinnamon, was part of the breakfast showcase  at VVC aka the most delicious morning ever! It was so great to meet G after reading her blog for so long and her baked goods were yummo!

Last year Geanna made this soup from Appetite for Reduction and when I saw it I knew it was something I had to make, stat!

I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I don't think I had to make any changes and this was easy to make.


It was so tasty, I love cauliflower and pesto and they combine so well in this soup! 


Then the other day I was thinking about toast, and cheese, and cheese on toast, and so I stopped at the shops to buy a loaf of rice bread. I melted a few spoonfuls of homemade coconut cheese while I toasted two pieces of bread. Once done, I put them under the sandwich press. 


The result looked just like the cheese on toast I had as a kid. Chris came home just as I finished making this and immediately grabbed a slice, even though previously he hadn't wanted to try the cheese because he's not a fan of coconut. He enjoyed it so I let him have one slice (I know, I'm so kind!) I ate the other and it was lovely and melty.



Have a great weekend, everyone!


20 comments:

tanglymess said...

This looks really good, Mandee. I have some vegan pesto in the fridge--but I've never even heard of coconut cheese. Sounds like something I'll have to look for. It looks great.

fittingintovegan said...

Wow, that looks good. Hadn't ever thought of adding pesto to cauliflower or even making it into a soup. I am gonna have to give that a try!

veganmiam.com said...

What a lovely looking and creamy cauliflower pesto soup! Cauliflower and pesto both pair very well together! I can imagine using them as dipping or perhaps on some nice garlicky rise. I saw your other post on coconut cheeze, it's so awesome that you made them! I admire your cheese making skills! Have a lovely weekend, my friend!

Allysia said...

I have never heard of or seen coconut cheese, but it does look deliciously melty. And cauliflower sounds like the perfect neutral backdrop for pesto - I love the sound of this soup!

Cadry said...

Oh, that all looks so good! I can imagine pesto and cauliflower going really well together. I'm surprised I've never had that combination before. That coconut cheese melts spectacularly well. It looks so tempting!

Sal said...

It looks great. But you know when I made it, I only went and burnt ma freakin garlic and ruined the whole pot. Fail, Sal!

Dawn said...

I love that soup! And I'm totally jealous of the cheese on toast right now. That cheese melts great.

Rachel Hallows said...

That soup sounds good, and the toast looks great! I want some cheesy toast now.

VeggieAmanda said...

That looks amazing. I have never heard of coconut cheese. Can you share the brand? Not sure I could find it in the U.S., but I'd love to look for it. It seems to melt well.

Hannah B. said...

Whhhhat! That looks just like slices of cheese on toast. I'm making that cheese.

Raquel said...

This looks delicious! Definitely going to make it soon! yum :)

Mel said...

Oh yum, I love that cauliflower pesto soup but haven't made it in such a long time. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Cindy said...

Wow, that coconut cheese takes me back to childhood too. :-)

Joey said...

Those both look lovely - I can't get enough cauliflower, particularly roasted or with pine nuts. That cheese looks superb - as soon as I saw the word homemade I knew I had to give it a go!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oooh that soup looks great, I'm not the biggest soup fan so I've always skipped past that recipe but now I might have to make it.

Sandy said...

Yum! Both the soup and your toast look really delicious.
PS - is there anywhere I can subscribe to your blog by email??? I can't find a link on your page anywhere. - Thanks

River said...

Appetite for Reduction is such a goldmine for good recipes. I have not tried the cauliflower pesto soup yet but it looks wonderful. Melted cheese! It looks so gooey - I need to make me a batch ASAP!

Maggie Muggins said...

I'm surprised I haven't tried that soup yet, cauliflower and pesto sounds like such a great combo!

Christine said...

I LOVE making coconut cheese. I don't know where my life was without it. I usually do it smoky/spicy and color it with turmeric or annato for a yellow color, but I really like the white you have going here. YUM!!! Want to make some right now.

eatingwiththerabbits said...

Mmm, that soup is one of my favourites. And the cheese toast looks perfect!

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive