Monday, September 2, 2013

VeganMoFo2013 Day 2: Masa Masala Burgers




My theme for VeganMoFo this year is: MoFo Mimic! Each year I bookmark a bunch of posts intending to try out the amazing recipes fellow vegan food bloggers have come up with and I don't often get around to trying them. So, this year I have made a list and I will be highlighting some of my favourite vegan food bloggers!

Today I'm featuring a recipe by Joni at Just the Food! I got to meet Joni and hear her speak at Vida Vegan Con, and she was on the panel for one of my favourite sessions: Interdietary Co-habitation! (Side note, I really should have done a VVC recap months ago!)

Last year Joni made Masa Masala burgers - a mash up of Indian and Mexican flavours and ingredients, in burger form! I didn't have to make any changes to this recipe as it already happened to be gluten and soy free! 

I'm not a huge fan of the taste of masa harina flour, I find it quite strong and in these burgers it overpowered the garam masala, so next time I'd double the spices. I liked the texture and they held together without breaking when flipped!






I also made the Tangy Tahini Sauce to go along with them which was lovely and zesty plus it gave me a chance to buy some dill, which I rarely use.


This was a really great meal paired with some fresh spinach and rocket.

23 comments:

Joey said...

It looks delicious - I really like the flavour of masa, so you can just send me any spares! I'm also of the opinion that tahini is sort of Midas like, in that it just makes everything it touches a bit better, so that sauce was no doubt a total winner!

Susan said...

Great theme - I have so many bookmarked blog recipes but I almost never make them because I am so absorbed in my cookbooks.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Those look great & I love Joni's burger book!

Mel said...

Yay - we are burger posting buddies today! I love the sound of these but I'm sure I would prefer them with extra garam masala too. Your photos are always gorgeous Mandee!

Kate said...

I'm glad you're doing this because I too always note a bunch but only end up making a handful!

Mihl said...

I have a bag of masa harina sitting around that I never use. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tea and Sympatico said...

What a brilliant idea for a theme! Glad you're doing Mofo again, I look forward to reading the rest of your posts :)

VeggieAmanda said...

These look delicious. I also like the flavor of masa, but I can see what you mean about it being overpowering. Good tip! I also love dill, but don't buy it that often.

Sarah said...

Looks great! I wanted her book SO BAD and I got it and haven't used it nearly enough - no idea why!

Maya said...

That sauce sounds divine !

Sal said...

They look delicious.

River said...

Ooh, I should try these! I actually love the taste of masa harina! :)

foodfeud said...

Yeah! Everyone always makes such awesome stuff - I should stop oggling and get on making it myself too. These burgers sound great.

Allysia said...

Mmm, I'm sold on pretty much anything that comes with a tahini sauce. Too bad you're not crazy about masa, but at least the burgers held together and look great!

Rachel Hallows said...

This is enough to spur me to finally make these. I probably have all the ingredients on hand and have been wanting to try them for ages. They look great!

Dawn said...

I love your theme. Brilliant! It's just too hard to keep up with trying everything *during* mofo. These look delish!

RM said...

These look awesome Mands!!!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I love your theme, Mandee! Those burgers look killer!

AG said...

These look awesome Mandy :)

tinajoan said...

WAIT, I actually NEED to make this. Indian food and Mexican food are my favorite. I'll definitely be trying this one out in the next few weeks.

panda with cookie said...

Those burgers are so good! Thanks for the reminder that I need to do some more cooking from Joni's burger book.

Kylie said...

What a great theme! I'm definitely bookmarking these babies, they look delish!

Maggie Muggins said...

All your posts are reminding me that I have so many recipes bookmarked from other blogs! I may have to make this my theme next year ;)
These sounds fantastic and I've got a big bag if masa that needs to be used.

VeganMoFo 2013

Follow with Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

I attended

I attended
Vida Vegan Con 2013

About Me

My Photo
Mandee
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I went vegan in 2006 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love baking cupcakes and reading books and often wish I could combine both activities without disastrous results. If I’m not in the kitchen you’ll find me photographing food, cuddling my three kittehs or re-watching my favourite tv shows over and over again with my boyfriend. Due to food sensitivities I don't eat gluten or soy and yes, vegan, gluten free and soy free food is still delicious! Twitter: CupcakeKitteh
View my complete profile

Followers

Blog Archive

Bloglovin' followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Search

Loading...

Tags

Blog Archive